Thread: Kali on Hyper-V with multiple interfaces

Kali on Hyper-V with multiple interfaces

I am having an issue with network-manager only allowing 1 interface to be enabled at a time. My install in on Hyper-V and I have 3 NICS assigned to it. Network-Manager sees all 3 but will only allow 1 to be enabled at a time. I noticed when I attempt to enable another interface it will disable the currently active one then it loads the new interface with that other interfaces profile and gives it the other interfaces IP. Has anyone ran across this? I have seen other issues with network manager but not this one. If anyone can assist thank you.

I found a solution for this if anyone else is having the issue. Open system settings and go to network. There is a plus sign on all the interfaces click it for each one and create a new profile with the settings you want. once the profile is created click on it to make it active. Ensure check marks are next to the correct profile and reboot. When it reboots run "nmcli dev status". Each interface should be green and say connected.

You can also edit /etc/network/interfaces and configure it there.

I uninstalled network-manager and then tried that and it made the interfaces completely unusable. I couldn't get them to configure at all. I didn't have a lot of time to mess with all the config files luckily this worked for me after I re-installed network-manager.

I never said you had to uninstall network-manager.

And using that file, it's easy and very well documented: https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration

Depending on your linux and networking knowledge, using multiple interfaces is not be something most users do and if you aren't familiar enough, it won't be a 5 minutes job.