Thread: Installing Broadcom Drivers on Dell M4800 Laptop using Bootable Flash with 2019.1

Installing Broadcom Drivers on Dell M4800 Laptop using Bootable Flash with 2019.1

Have installed Kali 2019.1 on bootable flash with persistency.
    Now trying to load Broadcom Wireless Driver but no joy.

Installed dkms using package: dkms_2.6.2-4_all.deb (dpkg -i dkms_2.6.2-4_all.deb)

Attempted to install: broadcom-sta-dkms_6.30.223.271-5_all.deb (dpkg -i broadcom-sta-dkms_6.30.223.271-5_all.deb)

When second package installation exits an error message is
    displayed: Error processing package broadcon-sta-dkms (--install):
    installed broadcom-sta-dkms package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 10

Searched around to find out what an Exit Status 10 is but found nothing that was revelatory.
    Noticed there is a lot of flailing with Broadcom drivers.

Any one have a suggestion on how to manually load the drivers successfully

TIA

Red

Some random package won't work. Where did you get that from? Any reason you're not using a package from the Kali repository?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister_X View Post
    Some random package won't work. Where did you get that from? Any reason you're not using a package from the Kali repository?
    Where it came from was a search of Google for info on getting the WLAN up and running
    on a Dell 4800 running Linux.

As for why I am not using the Kali Repository, from what I can tell the repository is set up
    to depend on a network connection to the device on which the software is being installed.
    Right now the NIC, WLAN and Bluetooth all have the same property - they do not work. So
    I cannot simply use the internal Kali construct to download directly from the repository. It
    seems Broadcom drivers are a pervasive problem to install in Kali. I have to find a place to
    download a potential package that may work, which is a Windows box, shoeleather express
    it to the Laptop on a thumb drive and install from the command line. There are a plethora
    of instructions on use of differing sources. The common thread is they sometimes work. In
    my case none have worked.

I am a noob at this and thus far have found no other method to get the laptop up and
    running. I found things like tethering the Kali box to a USB hot spot etc but again while
    'lsusb' may show it is connected there are no instructions on actually setting up the
    connection and iwconfig does not display an attached device.

Thanks for the inquiry.

broadcom drivers are a problem in all linux.

You can always build your custom Kali from a VM. I believe it is also possible to build it from Debian as well.

Kali has a few resources that could help:
    - https://kali,training
    - https://docs.kali.org