Hello everyone,

I am new here, so I hope I am doing it right. Here is a description of the problem - I did a fresh install of Kali Linux on my computer system (laptop). and I continue to experience a problem with Xorg. No matter what I do, I can't seem to configure it to use my NVIDIA driver. The driver has been obtained from the official website (NVIDIA). All attempts to fix the problem resulted in a black screen. It does not load the login prompt. This said, I can still access the TTY Terminal.

I have followed a tutorial I found here. Following is a break down what worked and what did not work.

1) I did create a .blacklist to disable nouveau driver;
2) I can confirm the driver does not load up;
3) I could NOT find package(s) nvidia-driver and nvidia-xconfig. Hence, I could not perform apt-get to install them as stated in tutorial. Hence, I have downloaded the latest NVIDIA driver for my GPU from the official website, I will append details further down;
4) I did try to edit xorg.conf file by adding the BusID, that did NOT resolve the problem. I also tried to execute nvidia-xconfig providing the bus id. This also did NOT resolve the problem;
5) I have created the two scripts as indicated in the tutorial;
/usr/share/gdm/greeter/autostart/optimus.desktop
/etc/xdg/autostart/optimus.desktop

After the above steps, I have rebooted the system. However, the login screen would not load and the system would present a black screen. From here, I would access the the TTY Terminal to change the name of the xorg.conf file to something like xorg.conf.bkp. After this change, I would restart the computer, and I would be presented with a login screen.

Here is some information about my system

uname

Linux whoamx 4.19.0-kali3-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.20-1kali1 (2019-02-14) x86_64 GNU/Linux

lspci
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 530 (rev 06)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP106M [GeForce GTX 1060] (rev a1)

nvidia-smi

Tue Mar 19 21:28:49 2019
NVIDIA-SMI 418.43 Driver Version: 418.43 CUDA Version: 10.1
GeForce GTX 1060

release

DISTRIB_ID=Kali
DISTRIB_RELEASE=kali-rolling
DISTRIB_CODENAME=kali-rolling
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Kali GNU/Linux Rolling"
PRETTY_NAME="Kali GNU/Linux Rolling"
NAME="Kali GNU/Linux"
VERSION="2019.1"
VERSION_ID="2019.1"

I would appreciate some guidance on the subject. I am not big on Linux, I am trying to move away from Windows OS, and Kali seems like a good choice, given I am currently studying cybersecurity at the university. I am happy to provide more information where necessary. At this point, I am not sure what else to add.