Thread: WiFi is showing as "Unavailable" in WiFi settings.

WiFi is showing as "Unavailable" in WiFi settings.

Ok so i've been trying to solve this for some days now. I can't connect to wifi in kali dual boot from the menu in the upper corner. Whenever i try to connect from there, the video card show as being turned off. If i try to turn it on, nothing happens, it stays turned off. Also, in "WiFi Settings" it shows as unavailable.
    I tried turning it on with commands in the terminal, like ifup, restarting the network manager, getting new drivers, looking for backports, upgrading the linux (obviously) and that's all that crossed my mind. Also, other solutions that i found in here such as rfkill unblock and blacklisting other devices that may collide with the network adapters didn't work.
    I want to also state that while i can't connect directly from the upper menu i can connect with the wpa_supplicant from the terminal, but that is a pain if i want to switch to another network on the run, I'd have to create a new conf file and then connect to the internet instead of just using a password and connecting to it. Also, i don't know how i could connect with WPS or to a random AP, and searching for those commands as well would really take a while.
    My network adapters are a tp-link TL-WN823N, and i have the RTL8192EU driver installed, and my integrated intel chipset, with the iwlwifi driver installed. The machine on which i run kali is a lenovo legion laptop.
    Here is a full diagnostic report for my network manager: https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/NKPY3ssgqg/

rfkill indicates hard block, which means it's a switch on your computer (key/key combination/bios lock) that you have to press to enable the card.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister_X View Post
    rfkill indicates hard block, which means it's a switch on your computer (key/key combination/bios lock) that you have to press to enable the card.
    If there is a lock doesn't that mean that the card shouldn't work in windows as well?

a hard block, as I said, means that there is a physical switch (or key combination/bios setting) to enable the card.

Network manager may interpret the lock on one card as wifi being completely locked. As a workaround, you can always use wpa_supplicant.

I've managed to solve the problem, finally. For everyone who has this problem as well, you were right, the hard block was indeed a problem, and i solved that by blacklisting "ideapad_laptop", which was a driver that collided apparently with the network adapters. To block it, just go into /etc/modprobe.d and use nano or smth else to write a file named blacklist.conf in which you type "blacklist ideapad_laptop". Or, from one line "echo blacklist ideapad_laptop | tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf". Also, for me, the resolv.conf file was corrupted, so i had to remove it and make it again, and in that put "nameserver 8.8.8.8" or "nameserver 8.8.4.4", both should work just fine. I also did a reset of my bios before all other things, i don't know if that helped but i wanted to put that here as well, just in case.