Thread: Is it possible to repurpose an extra router to function as an usb wifi adapter?

Is it possible to repurpose an extra router to function as an usb wifi adapter?

I've tried searching for a couple weeks and everything I'm that I'm finding correlates to "how to's" on troubleshooting usb wifi adapters such as the ALFA, Linksys, etc... wifi adapters. I've looked on DD-WRT, Tomato, and Open WRT forums for such firmwares and elsewhere for possible solutions. I understand the redundancy of such a device because it would be really limited to only being useful in a specific niche situation such as a desktop scenario. (that and i have a plethora of routers laying around doing nothing).

Thanks for the read, and sorry if i blatantly missed this topic on here...

Atheros-based routers can do monitor mode (I believe some ralink/mediatek can do it as well) but that means running the tools on the router. If you don't have enough space on the firmware and the router has a USB port, look into extroot.

OpenWrt is the way to go. I don't think other firmware offer the option at all.

okay. thanks. i'll look again tomorrow.