Thread: Issues with Keyboard and Mouse for Dual Boot Kali Linux on Macbook

Post Issues with Keyboard and Mouse for Dual Boot Kali Linux on Macbook

Hello everyone,

I am new and had an issue that arose after the successful imaging of my flash drive with an iso file of kali linux (specifically kali-linux-kde-2019.1a-amd64.iso). My problem happened when i rebooted my laptop and tried to run the Live version of Kali from the USB boot drive. Everything loaded up fine graphically but I was unable to interact with the system, my built-in keyboard, my trackpad mouse, etc. were not working at all. I was wondering if this is an issue that has come up with other people and if so how can i fix it? FYI i have a Macbook 2015 running macOS Mojave 10.14.4.

That's a known issue (in the kernel) and the driver for keyboard and mouse will land in a later kernel.

Three solutions: wait for a later kernel, use a VM, or use an external keyboard/mouse (not apple).

I have a question, has this been fixed? it's been a while since this post and my install and live version are both still just freezing as soon as it boots. i went to the bugs page and all i could find was one that talked about keyboard and mouse being frozen but it says fixed but its still not working for me. this is the link where I read this https://bugs.kali.org/view.php?id=4999 I am trying to install the newest version of Kali to date.

If I recall, it has been in a 5.X kernel. Since it's still 4.19, the answer is no. Kali depends on Debian testing for the kernels.

Has there been any update on the new kernel to fix the MacBook Pro 2019 keyboard issue?

Nope, currently running 5.2. 5.3 (or possibly 5.4) is where it is: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-Key-Trackpads

I see. So I?ve read that support for new macs comes in 5.3 but you mentioned it works in 5.2. Is this the case?

No, I said Kali is currently running 5.2.

5.3 is where support for the keyboard may be (or 5.4). So you'll have to wait.