Thread: Issues with Keyboard and Mouse for Dual Boot Kali Linux on Macbook

Post Issues with Keyboard and Mouse for Dual Boot Kali Linux on Macbook

Hello everyone,

I am new and had an issue that arose after the successful imaging of my flash drive with an iso file of kali linux (specifically kali-linux-kde-2019.1a-amd64.iso). My problem happened when i rebooted my laptop and tried to run the Live version of Kali from the USB boot drive. Everything loaded up fine graphically but I was unable to interact with the system, my built-in keyboard, my trackpad mouse, etc. were not working at all. I was wondering if this is an issue that has come up with other people and if so how can i fix it? FYI i have a Macbook 2015 running macOS Mojave 10.14.4.

That's a known issue (in the kernel) and the driver for keyboard and mouse will land in a later kernel.

Three solutions: wait for a later kernel, use a VM, or use an external keyboard/mouse (not apple).

I have a question, has this been fixed? it's been a while since this post and my install and live version are both still just freezing as soon as it boots. i went to the bugs page and all i could find was one that talked about keyboard and mouse being frozen but it says fixed but its still not working for me. this is the link where I read this https://bugs.kali.org/view.php?id=4999 I am trying to install the newest version of Kali to date.

If I recall, it has been in a 5.X kernel. Since it's still 4.19, the answer is no. Kali depends on Debian testing for the kernels.

Has there been any update on the new kernel to fix the MacBook Pro 2019 keyboard issue?

Nope, currently running 5.2. 5.3 (or possibly 5.4) is where it is: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-Key-Trackpads

I see. So I?ve read that support for new macs comes in 5.3 but you mentioned it works in 5.2. Is this the case?

No, I said Kali is currently running 5.2.

5.3 is where support for the keyboard may be (or 5.4). So you'll have to wait.

Mister_X you seem to know your stuff haha

do you think you could give a rough estimate as to when kali will be updated with the 5.3 kernal ?

Soon after the desired kernel enters debian testing.

It's currently 5.3. Just grab a weekly ISO and see. Otherwise you may have to wait for 5.4

Quote Originally Posted by Mister_X View Post

It's currently 5.3. Just grab a weekly ISO and see. Otherwise you may have to wait for 5.4

I'm having the same problem and tried searching the web for a solution for a while now, I tried to install missing drivers but am pretty new and still couldnt get the mouse + keyboard to work. I now downloaded the kali live 2020.1 but after creating a bootable USB using mac linux USB loader, I still have the same problem. Just did a google search which said the kernel is actually 5.2.9, do you know roughly when 5.4 will be out? I've wasted so much time trying to fix myself that I think it might be better to just wait now

Is there any update on this? I'm on a 2017 MacBook Pro, and I've been searching relentlessly for a solution. Keyboard and trackpad don't work with live boot, also don't work during install.

Quote Originally Posted by Renee View Post
    I'm having the same problem and tried searching the web for a solution for a while now, I tried to install missing drivers but am pretty new and still couldnt get the mouse + keyboard to work. I now downloaded the kali live 2020.1 but after creating a bootable USB using mac linux USB loader, I still have the same problem. Just did a google search which said the kernel is actually 5.2.9, do you know roughly when 5.4 will be out? I've wasted so much time trying to fix myself that I think it might be better to just wait now
    I'm also using a MacBook 2017 and I've just finished booting kali into it using USB but during the boot and even when I went to the live session I wasn't able to use my mouse/keyboard
    so I had to blug-in an outer mouse/keyboard however after I've done everything and booted out the system I still can't use my mouse or keyboard and I was just doing a CTF but I had pain in my back because it's not comfortable nor easy to use an outer keyboard+mouse with a laptop.
    However I quit everything and start Mac normally and here I'm searching for a solution to this annoying issue but when I saw the date of your comment I realize that this topic aint that old
    sincerely

Quote Originally Posted by Mister_X View Post

Do you know of any update on keyboard/trackpad support for known issues with macbooks?

I booted the 2020.3 ISO today on a 2019 MBP via USB, but post-boot my keyboard and trackpad did not function.
    Before this, I had tried an installation, but was unable to select a language for the same reason.

This was the most recent bug report I could find: https://bugs.kali.org/view.php?id=6158

Any update or reference would be super appreciated. Thanks.

Any update on this? I'm having the same issues you reported, but with a 2019 MBP and booting from USB.

Hi!

Is there any update?
    Spent a good amount of time to fight with new boot on Mac (T2 chip) and when it was booted have got an issue with touchpad and keyboard.

same issue on razer blade stealth 2020 keyboard works but trackpad does not. sad really. i gotta use my external mouse. bullshit.

am having the same issue with my mac with 5.9.0 my keyboard stop working immediately i boot into my environment

keyboard and trackpad recognized for me out of the box (kali 2020.4), not to say that is perfect... system default font size is microscopic and uchanging KEyboard layout via the Preferences given in the main menu does not work (it does by editing /etc/default/keyboard)

no updates with T2 chip & there is Three solutions: wait for a later kernel, use a VM, or use an external keyboard/mouse

or you could research on lower version of the kernel that may fit with the your machine then edit the grub and install the kernel

Hello there. I'm trying to install Kali Linux on my HDD using USB Bootable. When I'm on the part where I can select "Graphical Install, Live Install" my keyboard and my suddenly stops working. Please help!