Thread: Can't seem to get this xbox 360 conotroller to work.

Can't seem to get this xbox 360 conotroller to work.

I tried just plugging the controller in, didn't work. I had it working on the install of kali just before this one and I did nothing to make it work. I've tried with the xpad kernel driver. I removed that and installed the xboxdrv userspace driver. Today, the controller is picked up by lsusb, When I run xboxdrv --silent I get a message that my controller should show in /dev/input/event'x' and js'y' and when I look they tend to be there. Today was different several times they didn't show, or when I jstest /dev/input/event'x' it will return, no such file. After awhile I started getting these messages:

root@samara:/dev/input# jstest event1
    Driver version is 0.8.0.
    jstest is not fully compatible with your kernel. Unable to retrieve button map!
    Joystick (Unknown) has 2 axes and 2 buttons.
    Testing ... (interrupt to exit)

jstest: error reading: Invalid argument.

The controller worked well on the last install, I turned off X to install an nvidia driver and was unable to turn it back on, so I reinstalled. Now I wish I looked harder for a solution, well, 20-20 hindsight. Most of what I find to help is Ubuntu help and that might as well be windows help for users of other distros. Hopefully ther is a gamer here who has an idea or two.

Any error message happen (in dmesg) after plugging the adapter and/or running that xboxdrv command?

Some parts of the help for Ubuntu can probably be used.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister_X View Post
    Any error message happen (in dmesg) after plugging the adapter and/or running that xboxdrv command?

Some parts of the help for Ubuntu can probably be used.
    No error messages. I did find out that dmesg sees it as a PS3 controller, but lsusb sees it as a xbox 360 controller. It's an off brand. Not sure I'll like this gaming stuff so I didn't spend a lot of money.

I've followed a number of ubuntu threads that ended up not being much help. I am following another, which thus far looks good. Ah another that ends with installing from a ppa, ubuntu is good for that

Thank you

adding packages from others sources (manually, adding repositories or ppa) will most likely break your kali install (sooner or later)