Thread: Dual Boot on Two Different Hard Drives

Dual Boot on Two Different Hard Drives

I have looked through the forums and have not found anything that has helped so I am starting the thread in hopes of changing that.
    I download the Kali Linux ISO file to a USB stick to download it to my new hard drive. When I boot from the USB I can use the live version just fine with no issues. I then installed Kali on the hard drive i wanted to use. After finding out that I need to use the DD image style to write to the USB and not the ISO Image style I was able to complete the install. Since the Install I have not been able to boot into Kali. When I change my boot order to the hard drive with Kali I am told to but in a boot-able drive in. (the hard drive should be a boot-able drive as it has Kali on it) I have tried wiping the hard drive and restarting the process and end up at the same point. When I boot back into windows with my other drive I am able to pull up the hard drive with Kali on it and it shows the data and says the device is working normally. I am sure you will need a lot more info from me to help me fix this just let me know what you need and maybe how to get it as i am a new computer science major so I know a little but not a lot. Thanks for the help in advance!

It's really hard to follow what you did. Please also use paragraphs.

As mentioned in other threads, computers can sometimes boot on one drive only. So, if you installed on the drive that cannot be booted on, you'll need to install the bootloader on the one who does.

I would recommend following the documentation when installing:
    - https://docs.kali.org
    - https://kali.training

I have a new hard drive that I want to install Kali linux on and I want to keep windows on the existing hard drive.

I have wiped the new hard drive and reinstalled Kali linux from the USB step by step(wiped the flash drive as well in case there was an issue when writing to it the first time)(the live version on the USB works just fine.)

Now when I go into BIOS and change boot order to make the new hard drive 1st in the boot order(I dont see a Linux boot manager in bios only a windows boot manager thats why I put the hard drive that has Kali on it first in the boot order) all I get is a message that says "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" No matter what I do I cant get pass that message.

Was able to get this working had an issue with the grub used the text install version and it loaded the grub without any issues