Thread: Kali on a Surface Pro 3

Kali on a Surface Pro 3

Hi everyone, i'm a linux N00B having the following problems installing kali on a microsoft surface pro 3

I wanna use the secure boot option in my bios (UEFI A.M.I. Ver. 2.16.1243) and install kali (2019.2 Release)

Since I'm here I haven't understood how to do it by my self yet, but in the meantime I've try to:

Copy in the iso folder EFI/boot of the usb (iso mounted using rufus ver 3.3 as "iso" "mbr") files from an iso of fedora (could use debian but i wasn't sure if they were validate or not)

then ive create a grub.cfg file
    Code:
    # Config file for GRUB2 - The GNU GRand Unified Bootloader 
    # /boot/grub/grub.cfg

# DEVICE NAME CONVERSIONS 
    # 
    # Linux Grub 
    # ------------------------- 
    # /dev/fd0 (fd0) 
    # /dev/sda (hd0) 
    # /dev/sdb2 (hd1,2) 
    # /dev/sda3 (hd0,3) 
    # 
    # root=UUID=dc08e5b0-e704-4573-b3f2-cfe41b73e62b persistent

set menu_color_normal=yellow/blue 
    set menu_color_highlight=blue/yellow

function load_video { 
    insmod efi_gop 
    insmod efi_uga 
    insmod video_bochs 
    insmod video_cirrus 
    insmod all_video 
    }

load_video 
    set gfxpayload=keep

# Timeout for menu 
    set timeout=5

# Set default boot entry as Entry 0 
    set default=0 
    set color_normal=yellow/blue

menuentry "Kali - Boot Non Persistent Mode" { 
    set root=(hd0,1) 
    linuxefi /live/vmlinuz boot=live noconfig=sudo username=root hostname=kali 
    initrdefi /live/initrd.img 
    }

menuentry "Kali - Boot Persistent" { 
    set root=(hd0,1) 
    linuxefi /live/vmlinuz boot=live noconfig=sudo username=root hostname=kali persistence 
    }

menuentry "Kali Failsafe" { 
    set root=(hd0,1) 
    linuxefi /live/vmlinuz boot=live config memtest noapic noapm nodma nomce nolapic nomodeset nosmp nosplash vga=normal 
    }

menuentry "Kali Forensics - No Drive or Swap Mount" { 
    set root=(hd0,1) 
    linuxefi /live/vmlinuz boot=live noconfig=sudo username=root hostname=kali noswap noautomount 
    }

menuentry "Kali Graphical Install" { 
    set root=(hd0,1) 
    linuxefi /install/gtk/vmlinuz video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=788 
    initrdefi /install/gtk/initrd.gz 
    }

menuentry "Kali Text Install" { 
    set root=(hd0,1) 
    linuxefi /install/vmlinuz video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=788 
    initrdefi /install/initrd.gz 
    }

the result is half negative since i can boot (with secure boot enabled) in the live version but not in the installer (kernel related error(error../..grub-core/loader/i386/efi/linux.c:206: yuo need to load the kernel first.)) -(following this guide: https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...all-Kali-Linux )

Disabling the secure boot and then install kali (it works)
    after that ive try to get a signed version of grub using apt to install the "grub-efi-amd64-signed" and "shim-signed" packages.
    it works (no terminal error) but not, cause the problem of not being able to boot in kali with the secure boot enabled persist. -(following this guide: (https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...ith-windows-10)

why i want to use secure boot? cause if not the surface gives a red allarming boot screen (not ideal if u have to work in public places) and also cause why not?!

if it's gonna work with rEFInd Boot Manager can u tell me the procedure (if there is)

2. half of the surface peripherals doesn't work by default (like wifi and bluetooth)

ive try doing
    Code:
    $ git clone git://git.marvell.com/mwifiex-firmware.git # mkdir -p /lib/firmware/mrvl/ # cp mwifiex-firmware/mrvl/* /lib/firmware/mrvl/

wifi still crashing after a bit randomly (I mean it worked fine right after a restart, but it would break after suspend/hibernate and after a bit cause the mwifiex driver

for the bluetooth i had also to
    Code:
    #sudo lsmod | grep blue #systemctl enable bluetooth.service #systemctl start bluetooth.service
    but at the end its the only working thing

so i need to install a kernel that works with the surface pro 3 (any specific guide or help) (btw at the end can i use the surface wifi module in monitor mode?)

webcam isn't working too and the magnetic keyboard il bugged (any fix?)

ty for the time uve spent trying to understand my pastaeater english and dunno, have a nice day.

Kali-Linux does not support secure boot as of now. If you want to Install kali or want to boot kali live, you have to keep Secure Boot disabled but don't disable UEFI else Windows will not boot. Legacy BIOS does not support secure boot anyway.