Thread: alpha awus036nha not going into monitor mode with airmon-ng

alpha awus036nha not going into monitor mode with airmon-ng

Hello,

Just installed Kali linux arm image 64bit for Rasberry pi3 b+.

I am having trouble putting my alpha card into monitor mode with the "airmon-ng start" command it appears in my network settings as atheros and also when I use the "Ifconfig" command it appears as wlan1 and my internal card appears as wlan0.

I can not get it into monitor mode with "airmon-ng start wlan1" it just gets stuck and does not confirm anything. The internal card will start as wlan0 and goes into monitor mode just fine and can packet inject. But the alpha card light goes off it seems it kills it and won't become wlan1mon.
    Just freezes.

I have searched google and other forums to no avail is there something I'm missing here? Do I have to deactivate the internal card or something?
    I'm running the 64bit kali arm image
    I have updated and upgraded, both uninstalled and reinstalled atheros driver's.

Thanks people

Quote Originally Posted by kali_sec_x View Post
    Hello,

Just installed Kali linux arm image 64bit for Rasberry pi3 b+.

I am having trouble putting my alpha card into monitor mode with the "airmon-ng start" command it appears in my network settings as atheros and also when I use the "Ifconfig" command it appears as wlan1 and my internal card appears as wlan0.

I can not get it into monitor mode with "airmon-ng start wlan1" it just gets stuck and does not confirm anything. The internal card will start as wlan0 and goes into monitor mode just fine and can packet inject. But the alpha card light goes off it seems it kills it and won't become wlan1mon.
    Just freezes.

I have searched google and other forums to no avail is there something I'm missing here? Do I have to deactivate the internal card or something?
    I'm running the 64bit kali arm image
    I have updated and upgraded, both uninstalled and reinstalled atheros driver's.

Thanks people
    Thanks for the report, I can confirm the issue here. Unfortunately the 64bit image for the RPi3 is considered experimental, as the kernel itself isn't the most stable. Can you reproduce the issue with the 32bit image as well? (The one listed as just for RaspberryPi 2 or 3 without the 64 on the end) - that is the one that is considered supported by upstream.

Hey steev,
    Thanks for the reply definitely going to try another image then and see if that works, is it also possible to have both cards on at the same time?
    Can I have the alpha card in monitor mode and the internal card with internet access? Thanks again I will report back once I have tried the other rasberry pi 2/3 image.

OK just tried a new image (the non 64bit version)
    Everything working perfectly! The alpha in monitor mode and the internal card in managed mode....very nice.
    Guess it just boiled down to the image then.
    Thanks for taking your time to help I'm still learning.

Quote Originally Posted by kali_sec_x View Post
    OK just tried a new image (the non 64bit version)
    Everything working perfectly! The alpha in monitor mode and the internal card in managed mode....very nice.
    Guess it just boiled down to the image then.
    Thanks for taking your time to help I'm still learning.
    give the nexmon version a shot managed and monitor mode on internal card at once. not sure about the alpha but id roll the dice.

nexmon is already built in the image.