Thread: How do I get .net Core runtime working on pi B3+?

How do I get .net Core runtime working on pi B3+?

Hi guys,

I am trying to test some cross-platform code on kali and need to get the .net core runtime environment configured on my pib3+.
    I've tried following this guys video:
    https://www.***********************PFQiUo9loDA (Youtube : "Linux - 3. How to Install Visual Studio Code and .Net Core to Kali Linux")

But I am getting
    "Cannot execute binary file: Exec format error" at dotnet --info step.I assume this is a processor architecture issue. Tried again with the arm64 version, also to no avail.

Can anyone help out?
    I feel like .net core is something that should definitely be very accessible since it opens up so much more software compatibility if it is indeed compatible at all!

Quote Originally Posted by GigaJoules View Post
    Hi guys,

I am trying to test some cross-platform code on kali and need to get the .net core runtime environment configured on my pib3+.
    I've tried following this guys video:
    https://www.***********************PFQiUo9loDA (Youtube : "Linux - 3. How to Install Visual Studio Code and .Net Core to Kali Linux")

But I am getting
    "Cannot execute binary file: Exec format error" at dotnet --info step.I assume this is a processor architecture issue. Tried again with the arm64 version, also to no avail.

Can anyone help out?
    I feel like .net core is something that should definitely be very accessible since it opens up so much more software compatibility if it is indeed compatible at all!

.net core *should* be accessible, however, the build system for it is..... convoluted. That said... the version you need will depend on what image you are using. If you're using the typical "rpi3-nexmon" image for the rpi3, you're going to need the arm32/armhf version of the .net core files. If you're using "rpi3-64" then the arm64 version should work. If however, the installation does some downloading... then typically you run into upstream making assumptions that "this device is 64bit so it should download an amd64 version of the binary" - we can't help with that, and you'd have to poke the upstream project and tell them they need to fix their script (or better, since it's open source, provide them with a patch that actually checks between aarch64 and x86_64...

Sorry if this wasn't informative or helpful enough, but knowing what base image you're using should be the first step.

convoluted. nice a ten dollar euphimism