Thread: Troubleshooting - BIOS can not see external hard drive with Kali installed on it

Troubleshooting - BIOS can not see external hard drive with Kali installed on it

Recently I attempted to install Kali on an external hard drive, since my internal drive was pretty much full. I managed to get through the installation after a few problems that were eventually solved. However, now I can not find the external drive in BIOS, and as such, can't boot from it. I am, however, able to view the drive in Windows' Disk Management. I noticed none of the partitions have drive letters. I'm still fairly new to Kali, so I don't know if that is a problem.
    Here's a screenshot of the external drive partitions:

Here's a screenshot of the partitions on a Kali virtual machine that works (albeit with much smaller partitions):

One difference I noticed is that in the external drive, all partitions have "100% free", and the File System field is blank. In the end, my question is what can I do to get this working? Any help is appreciated.

In you bios, put your main hd right at the bottom. Also check that secure boot is off.

Secure boot has been turned off.
    Unfortunately I can not put the main hard drive at the bottom of the boot order, since (as stated in the title) BIOS can not see the external drive.

Your external drive was formatted to fat32? First before installing?

Yes, it was.

Id recommend ntfs as it has better compression but anyway. Id try again only thing id think of. If its larger than 32Gb you may not hve formatted correctly anyway.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/forma...at32-windows10

Quote Originally Posted by bigbiz View Post
    Id recommend ntfs as it has better compression...

https://www.maketecheasier.com/forma...at32-windows10
    I tried that. Unfortunately it didn't seem to make a difference. Thanks anyways though.

I don't see anything abnormal. Windows doesn't read ext4 partition. If you can boot kali then that's not a problem.