GIVEN:
    Laptop: MSI GL72 7QF
    ?P: Intel Core i7-7700HQ
    Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX960M
    RAM: 16 GB
    SDD: 500 GB GPT Format
    OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, Kali 2019.2

SYMPTOMS:
    After login the screen goes blank except for a small area of hashed color in upper left corner. System unresponsive after that.

FAILED SOLUTIONS:
    Edit Grub kernel commands to add, nomodset, nouiveau.modset=0, nouveau.noaccel=1
    Enter Grub Recovery mode: Tried to start non-GUI terminal session (ctrl+F3) to execute following commands
    SOURCE: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/t...ali-linux-2-0/
    • sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    • sudo stop gdm
    • sudo killall Xorg
    • sudo apt-get --purge remove xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

The session was continually interrupted by screen output that seemed to be looping. I could not create a stable session to further the troubleshooting process.

CONCLUSION:

This frozen black screen is a common problem I've seen in most Ubuntu installations. The cure generally is to use a Grub recovery mode to boot into the OS and install the proper Nvidia drivers. Alternately, the drivers may need to be downloaded from the Nvidia web site and installed manually. This is no easy feat considering the OS freezes when attempting to boot normally. I was in fact able to transfer the Nvidia driver script into the Kali installation via mounting it from Ubuntu. However, I cannot access the script because the screen freezes before I can open a working Xterm session.

QUESTION:
    I have used KALI in a legacy BIOS machine wherein I had no problems installing the proper drivers. This 2019.2 version of KALI is stated to be ready for UEFI, but I can't get past the login screen. I'm fairly certain it's not a boot problem given I can get to the login screen. Is anyone aware of a method to install Nvidia drivers into a system that is locked and/or unstable?

just boot using nouveau.modeset=0 should be enough, then blacklist nouveau module. Do you really need 3D? If it's just to display stuff, don't bother installing the drivers. Another thing to consider is that there is a package for the nvidia drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister_X View Post
    just boot using nouveau.modeset=0 should be enough, then blacklist nouveau module. Do you really need 3D? If it's just to display stuff, don't bother installing the drivers. Another thing to consider is that there is a package for the nvidia drivers.
    Thank you for your response Mister_X. As noted in my failed solutions, I tried using nouveau.modset=0 and a couple other kernel commands without success. I must confess to a lack of experience editing Grub script and suspect that your suggestion might have merit if the command were placed exactly in the correct position. Could you review the attached image of the Grub script and tell me precisely where to add the command you suggest? I've tried the line that loads Linux, after quiet, but no success.

I can probably install the nvidia package from the Kali repository if I could actually log into a stable session. I'm trying to get to that point.

mod_175439.jpg

What I'm saying is to put it one at a time, not all at once. And put it on the linux line, anywhere after the kernel is fine

In my opinion, Kali 2019.2 may not be compatible with nvidia driver. I also encountered a similar issue recently.

In my case the kernel module failed to start after I performed a dist-upgrade:
    I was learning Blender 3D and needed to reload a startup file, it simply froze. I shut it down and tried to launch without success. Launching in terminal revealed an OpenGL error. I upgraded just to be sure everything was correct only to get stuck in a reboot with a failed to load kernel module error.
    Since this happened after a recent nvidia update, I was able to resolve it by purging nvidia and then rebooting. 👇

Enter into terminal by hitting Ctrl + Alt + F3/F2
    Enter your login details in the prompt
    => apt remove --purge nvidia*
    => apt autoremove
    => rm - rf /etc/X11/xorg.conf (this was to resolve an X11 error that I also noticed
    => reboot

I hope this works for you.
    You should be able to load kernel module on reboot.

THE SOLUTION is obvious, but difficult to implement.

Kali 2019.2 is compatible with my GTX960M Nvidia Graphics card but only if the proprietary Nvidia drivers can be installed first. The generic nouveau graphics driver breaks Nvidia hardware so that there are only two choices:
    • Disable the nouveau graphics driver via Grub kernel commands, OR
    • Disable the Nvidia hardware

Either one of those solutions will allow Kali 2019.2 to boot to a stable state wherein the proper graphic driver can be installed.

In my particular case, the Nvidia card cannot be disabled via BIOS. The reason for this post is because I could not disable the nouveau driver either. The solution is indeed to append nouveau.modeset=0 to the Grub kernel commands, but that must be done in the correct place. Inserting the nomodeset on the "linux" line is a common solution I've seen elsewhere, but it did not work in my case. After much trial and error and many reboots, by accident or intentionally, Kali booted to a stable state when I set the nouveau disable command on the second line of the Grub script immediately following the "load video" instruction. This location is prior to the load linux instruction - see my above attachment for details.

As Mister_X noted, apparently there are Nvidia drivers in the Kali repository. I had to use the following command line instructions to install them:
    apt install nvidia-driver nvidia-xconfig

After the line that starts with linux hit enter on the new line insert entry

Thank you bigbiz.
    I appended the kernel command to the end of the load linux line and that did not work. In my desperation, as noted in my previous reply, I inserted a line after the initial "load video" instruction. That is the first line in the script and prior to the load linux command. Be that as it may, that is how I finally got KALI to boot so that I could load the correct nVidia driver package.

Such a relief to know that Ububtu will be rolling out support for nVidia soon. Its such pain in the but

Quote Originally Posted by bigbiz View Post
    Such a relief to know that Ububtu will be rolling out support for nVidia soon. Its such pain in the but
    Ubuntu 19.04 comes with a "safe video" option when booting from Grub. It's a shame other Linux distros haven't figured that out yet.

Help me out

Quote Originally Posted by theYogster View Post
    Thank you bigbiz.
    I appended the kernel command to the end of the load linux line and that did not work. In my desperation, as noted in my previous reply, I inserted a line after the initial "load video" instruction. That is the first line in the script and prior to the load linux command. Be that as it may, that is how I finally got KALI to boot so that I could load the correct nVidia driver package.
    I am also facing the same issue and can you help me out. I tried the apt-install nvidia command which you mentioned in previous comments but still struck at the top left small screen. Sometimes after 5-10 mins, it?s logging in and sometimes not.

Help me out in all the step by steps you have performed. Thanks in advance.

I have a similar issue where I can load into Kali just fine, but as soon as I click on any icon, the load wheel starts, the freezes and then I get booted out of the os to the login screen. Any ideas as to what this may be? I was thinking it?s a driver conflict but looking for some insight

Latest Solution

Quote Originally Posted by Arkadeus View Post
    I have a similar issue where I can load into Kali just fine, but as soon as I click on any icon, the load wheel starts, the freezes and then I get booted out of the os to the login screen. Any ideas as to what this may be? I was thinking it?s a driver conflict but looking for some insight
    In my case the problem definitely was a conflict with the default kernel video driver and the nVidia card installed in my system.
    First I switched to a Kali distro with the Xfce desktop which was stable enough to allow me to log in
    Then I was able to install the nVidia drivers. This web page was very helpful with that: https://medium.com/@jamesmacwhite/in...x-cd3560258e24