GIVEN:
Laptop: MSI GL72 7QF
?P: Intel Core i7-7700HQ
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX960M
RAM: 16 GB
SDD: 500 GB GPT Format
OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, Kali 2019.2

SYMPTOMS:
After login the screen goes blank except for a small area of hashed color in upper left corner. System unresponsive after that.

FAILED SOLUTIONS:
Edit Grub kernel commands to add, nomodset, nouiveau.modset=0, nouveau.noaccel=1
Enter Grub Recovery mode: Tried to start non-GUI terminal session (ctrl+F3) to execute following commands
SOURCE: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/t...ali-linux-2-0/
  • sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
  • sudo stop gdm
  • sudo killall Xorg
  • sudo apt-get --purge remove xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

The session was continually interrupted by screen output that seemed to be looping. I could not create a stable session to further the troubleshooting process.

CONCLUSION:

This frozen black screen is a common problem I've seen in most Ubuntu installations. The cure generally is to use a Grub recovery mode to boot into the OS and install the proper Nvidia drivers. Alternately, the drivers may need to be downloaded from the Nvidia web site and installed manually. This is no easy feat considering the OS freezes when attempting to boot normally. I was in fact able to transfer the Nvidia driver script into the Kali installation via mounting it from Ubuntu. However, I cannot access the script because the screen freezes before I can open a working Xterm session.

QUESTION:
I have used KALI in a legacy BIOS machine wherein I had no problems installing the proper drivers. This 2019.2 version of KALI is stated to be ready for UEFI, but I can't get past the login screen. I'm fairly certain it's not a boot problem given I can get to the login screen. Is anyone aware of a method to install Nvidia drivers into a system that is locked and/or unstable?