Thread: Stuck on resuming from hibernation on boot up

Stuck on resuming from hibernation on boot up

I?ve had this problem for a couple days now. Every time I start up Kali Linux it loads and then at the end of all the messages it says Resuming from hibernation and it gets stuck there. Kali Linux always used to work on my computer before but every since I tried to update it while it was working this happened when I restarted it. I did as many things as I could, I got into the command line and typed apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, apt-get dist-upgrade, dpkg ?configure -a, and more and none of it worked. I did research on this problem and I couldn?t find any valid information on how to fix it. So it would be amazing if you guys can help me find the solution to this.

Thank you,
    Santino

Here?s a pic:
    https://imgur.com/a/uDiQgWo

It may not be the issue, I can see the same when booting a VM that works just fine.

hello i got the same problem ,after updating.
    ay ideas how to fix this?

Ignore it.

+1 from me on problem described in Original Post. I have observed the following:

- attempt to update kali vm via apt update && apt upgrade
    - update fails, with error indicating not enough room on disk (comment: the warning seems erroneous; using dynamically sized virtual disk for vm)
    - at later point, try to re-power on kali vm
    - boot fails. "Resuming from hibernation" errors as described in OP. Boot hangs. Cannot start machine normally.
    - have attempted to boot into recovery
    - once in recovery have tried a range of steps, but still no ability to boot machine. Steps taken include:
    -- issue reboot/equivalent commands at recovery CLI, eg: reboot now, systemctl reboot, systemctl default, exit
    -- attempt to modify grub at /etc/default/grub - file/path does not appear to exist

Have now lost two Kali vms to this issue in last 5-6 weeks.

Snapshotting has also failed - both snapshot (taken before bug was experienced) and newer version of appear to experience same problem

Very interested to hear if anyone has:

-- any additional ideas for trying to recover the Kali vm, or
    -- any info that this might be a bug that needs to be addressed with the distro.

Machine/environment used:

- Windows 10 host
    - Virtualbox 6.0 as vm application
    - Kali built from ISO at Kali downloads page; 64 bit version (ie; I haven't been using the builds for virtualbox)

Same problem here, any idea how to fix this? I have dual boot with windows 10.

No way to boot into kali linux

Hello all, I found a solution to this issue. During the grub boot process, go into recovery mode and login to the root account.
    To temporarily bypass this issue, I ran
    swapoff -a
    Then, I commented out the swap partition's uuid in /etc/fstab Then, I commented out the swap partition's uuid in /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume

and finally
    update-grub
    update-initramfs -u
    This worked like a charm

Then, I uncommented the line in /etc/fstab to re enable the swap partition.
    Apparently this was caused by having too little disk space, however freeing it up did not immediately fix the problem. After everything was working, I re enabled everything except I left the /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume commented out to disable hibernation. Also one could potentially add the noresume boot option to grub, I did not attempt this but it should work as well.

Hope this helps somebody.

More information available at https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest.../531808#531808

I had the same issue. I was able to ALT-F3 when it seemed hanged up and ran df and log in to console. DF showed my drive was 100% full... running "apt-get clean" dropped it to 82% free. Now to add more drive space.

Do the following steps:

Settings -> Display -> Uncheck 3D acceleration

It worked for me.