Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Broadcom BCM43438 A1 is recognized as Broadcom 43430? Injections partly working.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    2014-Jun
    Posts
    22

    Broadcom BCM43438 A1 is recognized as Broadcom 43430? Injections partly working.

    Im using an "Redbear iot pHAT (for RASPBERRY PI 2B), that contains the Broadcom BCM43438 A1 chipset. This chipset supports both Bluetooth and Wifi.

    You get a strange error message in Kali_ARM when you put it in monitor mode (see below), but it still works and create the wlan0mon interface, and youre able to put the card in monitor mode and send de-auth, to catch a handshake, and it both sends it and catch it correctly However...

    It seems that its not correct recognized, and partly not working in monitor mode,

    Running "aireplay-ng -9 wlan0mon" returns with "working" however it only returns 1 of 30 injections made (3%) despite its only 10 meters from router, so i suppose its only supporting it partly, or the drivers somehow is not working properly

    Latest firmware on Redbear iot pHAT = 005..
    error message from airmon-ng below

    root@kali:~# airmon-ng start wlan0

    Found 2 processes that could cause trouble.
    Kill them using 'airmon-ng check kill' before putting
    the card in monitor mode, they will interfere by changing channels
    and sometimes putting the interface back in managed mode

    PID Name
    227 NetworkManager
    333 wpa_supplicant

    PHY Interface Driver Chipset

    phy0 wlan0 brcmfmac Broadcom 43430

    (mac80211 monitor mode vif enabled for [phy0]wlan0 on [phy0]wlan0mon)

    command failed: Unknown error 524 (-524)
    (mac80211 station mode vif disabled for [phy0]wlan0)

    root@kali:~#
    So the question is, is there a workaround, or will this be fixed later?
    Last edited by webbsmurfen; 2019-07-02 at 19:02.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    2014-Feb
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by webbsmurfen View Post
    Im using an "Redbear iot pHAT (for RASPBERRY PI 2B), that contains the Broadcom BCM43438 A1 chipset. This chipset supports both Bluetooth and Wifi.

    You get a strange error message in Kali_ARM when you put it in monitor mode (see below), but it still works and create the wlan0mon interface, and youre able to put the card in monitor mode and send de-auth, to catch a handshake, and it both sends it and catch it correctly However...

    It seems that its not correct recognized, and partly not working in monitor mode,

    Running "aireplay-ng -9 wlan0mon" returns with "working" however it only returns 1 of 30 injections made (3%) despite its only 10 meters from router, so i suppose its only supporting it partly, or the drivers somehow is not working properly

    Latest firmware on Redbear iot pHAT = 005..
    error message from airmon-ng below

    root@kali:~# airmon-ng start wlan0

    Found 2 processes that could cause trouble.
    Kill them using 'airmon-ng check kill' before putting
    the card in monitor mode, they will interfere by changing channels
    and sometimes putting the interface back in managed mode

    PID Name
    227 NetworkManager
    333 wpa_supplicant

    PHY Interface Driver Chipset

    phy0 wlan0 brcmfmac Broadcom 43430

    (mac80211 monitor mode vif enabled for [phy0]wlan0 on [phy0]wlan0mon)

    command failed: Unknown error 524 (-524)
    (mac80211 station mode vif disabled for [phy0]wlan0)

    So the question is, is there a workaround, or will this be fixed later?
    So, the detection is correct, the firmware that a 43438 uses is named 43430... I don't think we actually include the nexmon patched firmware for it though; there are a number of different revisions of the firmware for the Broadcom chips, but we only "officially" support the wifi driver that is built in to the RPi3 and the RPi0W.

    We could probably open a bug in @re4son 's GitHub and see if we could get the 43438 firmware also patched and included, but I don't have access to a Redbear in order to test.

    Would you be willing to clone the https://github.com/seemoo-lab/nexmon repo and see about building the firmware for it? If I'm correct, it *should* use https://github.com/seemoo-lab/nexmon...438/7_45_41_26 this firmware (note: that is not the patched version, it's a prepatched version); If we had some kind of confirmation that it worked, more than willing to include it, or alternatively, if my memory serves correctly, we include the nexmon via a package, so we might even be able to update it beforehand.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    2015-Nov
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    299
    I've ordered one of those and I'll have a look at it when it arrives in a few days.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    2014-Jun
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by re4son View Post
    I've ordered one of those and I'll have a look at it when it arrives in a few days.
    Thank you so much..

    I never tried to change the drivers and such in Kali, so I’m happy that someone who knows what they’re doing takes a shot at this..

    More information about the hardware/software i used..

    Raspberry Pi 2B rev 1,2
    RedBear IoT pHAT Firware 0.5 (updated from v0.4)
    https://github.com/redbear/IoT_pHAT/tree/master/eeprom (if you need to update)
    Kali_arm.2019.2 64bit and 32bit (both tested)


    Quote Originally Posted by steev View Post
    We could probably open a bug in @re4son 's GitHub and see if we could get the 43438 firmware also patched and included, but I don't have access to a Redbear in order to test...

    If we had some kind of confirmation that it worked, more than willing to include it, or alternatively, if my memory serves correctly, we include the nexmon via a package, so we might even be able to update it beforehand.
    I’m happy that someone who knows what they’re doing takes a shot at this, re4son seems to be interested tho. and i have never experimented with drivers on Kali before. So if Im lucky i might see a working driver for this in a couple of weeks, Nice!
    Last edited by webbsmurfen; 2019-07-01 at 20:55. Reason: did some testing with 64 and 32bit.. same result

  5. #5
    Join Date
    2014-Jun
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by re4son View Post
    I've ordered one of those and I'll have a look at it when it arrives in a few days.
    Any News, did you have some time to look at it yet?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    2015-Nov
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    299
    Took a while to arrive but it finally did. I'll look into it over the weekend.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    2014-Jun
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by re4son View Post
    Took a while to arrive but it finally did. I'll look into it over the weekend.
    Hi!

    Im just curious if you had time to look at this yet

  8. #8
    Join Date
    2014-Jun
    Posts
    22
    Okay, you guys did change something, After an apt-get update / upgrade it looks something like this instead (However same problem exist)
    Untitled.jpg

    It doesn't matter if i answer Y on that question, same result.

    Untitled1.jpg

    And i got two interfaces now. Wlan0 doesnt get "renamed" in to wlan0mon, as it does on other x86 versions af KALI. it creates a new interface called wlan0mon instead, just like the old "wlan0 / mon0" problem back in the days

  9. #9
    Join Date
    2020-Jan
    Posts
    1
    I'm having the same trouble which persists with Kali on Raspberry PI for years now.
    Namely, I'm unable to get built-in bluetooth to work and can't turn integrated wi-fi into monitor mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by steev View Post
    Would you be willing to clone the https://github.com/seemoo-lab/nexmon repo and see about building the firmware for it? If I'm correct, it *should* use https://github.com/seemoo-lab/nexmon...438/7_45_41_26 this firmware (note: that is not the patched version, it's a prepatched version); If we had some kind of confirmation that it worked, more than willing to include it, or alternatively, if my memory serves correctly, we include the nexmon via a package, so we might even be able to update it beforehand.
    I'll be willing to try to build this firmware from sources and post some feedback. Unfortunately, there is no linux-kernel-headers available for Kali distribution on Raspberry Pi (I'm using https://images.offensive-security.co...-nexmon.img.xz for now).
    So, build process https://github.com/seemoo-lab/nexmon...an-recommended stuck somewhere between steps 1&2)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    2014-Feb
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by registered View Post
    I'm having the same trouble which persists with Kali on Raspberry PI for years now.
    Namely, I'm unable to get built-in bluetooth to work and can't turn integrated wi-fi into monitor mode.

    I'll be willing to try to build this firmware from sources and post some feedback. Unfortunately, there is no linux-kernel-headers available for Kali distribution on Raspberry Pi (I'm using https://images.offensive-security.co...-nexmon.img.xz for now).
    So, build process https://github.com/seemoo-lab/nexmon...an-recommended stuck somewhere between steps 1&2)
    The kernel headers package for the RaspberryPi kernels is called something like kalipi-kernel-headers - if you do an `apt search kalipi-` it should be pretty easy to pick out which one it is.

Similar Threads

  1. Broadcom BCM43142
    By spirosw7 in forum TroubleShooting Archive
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2016-02-03, 22:15
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2014-08-27, 23:40
  3. Broadcom 43142
    By 5555-rgnf in forum Installing Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2014-05-03, 15:21
  4. Broadcom 4313
    By lone_wolf in forum TroubleShooting Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2013-06-20, 17:04

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •