Thread: Updates for newer devices?

Updates for newer devices?

Hello this is my first post. I was wondering since newest update 2019.2 released why there aren't many new device compatibility available yet?
    most of the devices supports are 3-5 years old. Granted Nethunter isn't supposed to support every new device but i think some new gen models from Xiaomi/Pixel/Moto/Oneplus should be natively compatible with nethunter. Otherwise it's hard to find specific handsets which are market out like 3-4 years ago.

Great question :-)

We are working on newer models as we speak but unfortunately they are all pretty expensive.
    We were spoiled a few years back when we could get top spec devices for killer prices, like the Nexus series and the Oneplus One but those days are over.

Do you have any particular handset in mind that tickles your fancy?

Would really love to see it for the Pixel 3. I've tried a few times to build a kernel following the instructions on the wiki but have had no luck.

Would like to see something like Moto G7 run it. Pretty cheap phone, but pretty good specs.

BTW, I'm a techie, but don't know anything about Linux on phones, or porting.

I'm a noob when it comes to the development but... are we really stuck with older devices? I've installed NetHunter on every nexus device I own but they've really aged and they're driving me crazy. I found a post of someone trying to build a kernel for the razer phone 2 but other than that nothing. I would love to run NetHunter on a brand new device for once.

Quote Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
    I'm a noob when it comes to the development but... are we really stuck with older devices? I've installed NetHunter on every nexus device I own but they've really aged and they're driving me crazy. I found a post of someone trying to build a kernel for the razer phone 2 but other than that nothing. I would love to run NetHunter on a brand new device for once.
    If you want the latest and greatest then you should get a OnePlus 7 (Pro). Top specs and full NetHunter support for half the price of comparable phones.

Hey, thanks for the answer! The pro version is bit expensive. Is the OnePlus 7 (cheaper version with notch) equally supported? I?m having trouble finding any comparisons on this matter. Thanks again and happy new year as well!

What would be the next best device after the OnePlus 7 / OnePlus 7 Pro? I am buying a new phone and trying to find something that will run NetHunter well that is a little less than the OnePlus 7. I have looked through the entire list on kali.org and I started to think it was just a list that was no longer maintained because of how old the devices are and the statement that the documentation has moved. When you go to the new documentation link I don't see the same type of supported list for NetHunter (full), only Lite. Am I missing it?

Thank you for posting this! I had the exact same reaction to the original article. The reality is that the big players in the Android space just do not update their devices, except for the flagships, and even those for no more than one or maybe two major Android versions. Unfortunately, this is one dimension in which Apple wins hands down.

I'm a noob when it comes to the development but... are we really stuck with older devices? I've installed NetHunter on every nexus device I own but they've really aged and they're
    Nox Vidmate VLCdriving me crazy. I found a post of someone trying to build a kernel for the razer phone 2 but other than that nothing. I would love to run NetHunter on a brand new device for once.

I suspect the issue with development for newer phones, is that the phones need to have their bootloader unlocked before they can support NetHunter. In order to unlock the bootloader, the phone needs to be paid in full. For many in the United States, the phones are financed, often for 2 years. By the time the phones are paid in full, they are no longer brand new. Even folks like me who pay their phones off early, usually have to wait 12-18 months for that to happen. Many then immediately trade in their 2-year old phones for a newer model...

Also, there are only so many developers, and sooooo many phones out there. The developers aren't independently wealthy. If there is a phone you want to be supported, I'm sure one of them could arrange a mailing address for you to send them a sample of that phone...

This kernel kernel-nethunter-oneplus7-oos-ten-2020.2-rc31 work for the oneplus 7t pro? Correct?

I second that question. Moreover, what is the overall status of the OnePlus 7t? Local stores don’t seem to carry the 7 Plus and more.

tl;dr:
    The OnePlus 7T is supported in theory but there is currently no working twrp recovery so you won't be able to flash NetHunter.

Long story:
    Excellent question. The NetHunter kernel for the OP7 supports all four: OnePlus 7, OnePlus 7 Pro, OnePlus 7T, OnePlus 7T Pro

BUT

There is currently no working twrp for the OnePlus 7T series so you won't be able to install NetHunter. That seems to be the main reason that you can get the OnePlus 7T for much less than the OnePlus 7. It is just not very popular amongst tinkerers because it doesn't let you tinker.

The current hold up for porting NetHunter to the latest Android 10 phones is, that there is currently no twrp support for any of them because of the dynamic partitioning Android 10 enforces. Everything else is working and we can hit the ground running once a custom recovery is available.

So, it looks like there is an unofficial TWRP build that supports the 7T, 7T pro, and the MacLauren.
    Before anyone goes looking for it, I want to remind everyone that flashing experimental software is a dangerous proposition! It could be buggy, and pre-compiled binaries could be maliciously altered. Even if they appear to work, they could have a hidden payload. The rule of thumb, I would say, is, if you can't afford to buy a new phone, then you can't afford to be "wreckless" with the one you have.

Having said that, there is a source repo available here:
    https://github.com/mauronofrio/andro...g_unified_TWRP

If there are any Devs that have the correct device, there is your start.

Everyone else, please be patient! It'll come, eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronouthier View Post
    So, it looks like there is an unofficial TWRP build that supports the 7T, 7T pro, and the MacLauren.
    Before anyone goes looking for it, I want to remind everyone that flashing experimental software is a dangerous proposition! It could be buggy, and pre-compiled binaries could be maliciously altered. Even if they appear to work, they could have a hidden payload. The rule of thumb, I would say, is, if you can't afford to buy a new phone, then you can't afford to be "wreckless" with the one you have.

Having said that, there is a source repo available here:
    https://github.com/mauronofrio/andro...g_unified_TWRP

If there are any Devs that have the correct device, there is your start.

Everyone else, please be patient! It'll come, eventually.
    This one does not work:

Features:
    - TWRP boots;
    - Fastboot boot is working;
    - Decryption is not working.
    - System, Vendor and Product partitions mount doesn't work.

By working I mean a twrp that can mount the partitions we need to write to.

There is currently no working twrp.

For more info on the problem:
    https://twrp.me/site/update/2019/10/...ndroid-10.html