Thread: Performance in Kali arm. Raspberry Pi 4 2Gb and 4Gb version

Performance in Kali arm. Raspberry Pi 4 2Gb and 4Gb version

I’m thinking about eventually join the "Raspberry PI 4" gang out there, but one thing stroke me. Will Kali ARM ever use more memory than 2Gb in Kali? Kali is a Pentesting distribution, and I do see the value to go from 1 to 2Gb however but I do fail to see the benefit going from 2 to 4Gb especially when Debian has such low system requirements, especially running with one monitor.

The question may seem stupid, but its a question about money as well. Why buy a 4Gb version if it will perform just as good with a 2Gb version.

It really depends what applications you will run. Some tools may use a lot of RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister_X View Post
    It really depends what applications you will run. Some tools may use a lot of RAM.
    I get that, but i do fail to see which applications in a the ARM pentest distro that uses a lot of ram. The only one i can think of is Metasploit, however you guys actually got it to work with 1 gigabyte even if the minimum requirements are 4GB (https://www.rapid7.com/products/meta...-requirements/), and its partly because of that im interested if it will be a big difference between the RPI 2Gb and 4Gb version (unless you do a lot of stuff at the same time) You have done a wonderful job to get Kali to work with a minimal hardware, so when the doors have opened to 4Gb will you change something in the software to get advantage of more ram?

The CPU has LPAE which let it handle more than the expected 2Gb