Thread: Issues Installing Kali on Lenovo ideapad Flex 4 w/ AMD ryzen 5 3500 radeon vega 8

Issues Installing Kali on Lenovo ideapad Flex 4 w/ AMD ryzen 5 3500 radeon vega 8

I am attempting to install Kali on my Lenovo Ideapad Flex 4 w/ AMD ryzen 5 3500 radeon vega 8 GPU.

BACKGROUND INFORMATION:

I downloaded the most recent build from "https://cdimage.kali.org/kali-images/kali-weekly/" using:
    kali-linux-2019-W28-amd64.iso 2019-07-07 01:30 3.4G

-I used RUFUS to flash my USB with the ISO trying both "ISO" and "DD" (Both with the same result)
    -I have attached a few system command outputs (dmseg, lscpu, lspci) from the LIVE session to provide some info.
    -I have also attached photos of my current BIOS settings.

IMG_2051.jpgIMG_2053.jpg

ISSUE:

Kali LIVE boots fine to the Desktop GUI and I am able to use it as I normally would with no issues. However, When I attempt to run any of the installers (standard or graphical) from the USB ISO bootable, the screen becomes all glitched and garbled as you can see from the follow photo.
    IMG_2048.jpg I have installed numerous linux systems including kali on a variety of devices and never ran into this issue.

I am assuming this has to do with the installer being unable to recognize the GPU or something of that nature. Not sure what my options are or the best way to work around this.

side note: I initially tried the installation with a UEFI boot and was successfully able to see and run the installer, however, Kali LIVE would only boot to terminal view and after the installation Kali would only boot to a black screen with a cursor in the top left hand corner. I was able to boot to terminal using the "nomodeset" in a GRUB edit but could not get the desktop GUI to load. Not sure If I was further along with this set up or my current LEGACY boot.

Looking for some guidance. I can provide any additional information just was not sure what to include for this specific problem so I added all I could.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hello,
    Was this already solved? Planning to buy Lenovo S145 with Ryzen 5 3500u processor for Kali Linux too.

I have a lenovo flex 14 ideapad e595 with a realtek RTL8822BE and im having problems getting it working, and i had issues getting Kali even running to begin with

Help

Quote Originally Posted by jissajoux View Post
    Hello,
    Was this already solved? Planning to buy Lenovo S145 with Ryzen 5 3500u processor for Kali Linux too.
    Me too please tell me if that issue with AMD Ryzen 5 3500u or maybe ill go with 2500u(Hoping that works).

Recommend

Quote Originally Posted by ccases1987 View Post
    I have a lenovo flex 14 ideapad e595 with a realtek RTL8822BE and im having problems getting it working, and i had issues getting Kali even running to begin with
    That's why I would recommend you not to go wid ryzen 5. An alternate is the i5 8th gen or i5 7th gen(2 cores only). Also get a laptop wid a GPU for hashcat

I have exactly the same problem. Ryzen 4600 and kali live usb. Usb works on two other computers flawlessly... Tried with nomodeset in grub but still nothing... I guess it has to be something with the cpu.