Thread: Installing from USB

Installing from USB

tl;dr: booting from my USB drive wants to install Kali from a non-existent cdrom.

I've
    a) made a bootable USB drive
    b) Put Kali on it
    c) made a 300G partition on my Win10 box for Linux
    d) farted with my BIOS to disable secure boot
    e) booted from the USB drive.

What I can't do is install Kali from the USB to that shiny new 300G partition. The install script wants a cdrom, which I don't have. Google says to play games with mounting /dev/sdb1 to /cdrom with various -t options. No joy, every time I drop to a shell /dev/sdb1 is already mounted to cdrom. Google also says to unplug the USB drive, then plug it back in. No joy, that just changes /dev/sdb1 to /dev/sdc1 or somesuch. There are also suggestions on using blkid to see what is where. I already know what is where. My USB drive has a vfat formatted bootable image that I would love to install Linux from.

I did find one site that said to use the Gnome 3 toolbar to select the "install" option. My Gnome 3 toolbar does not have that option, and farting with lots of unfamiliar icons did not lead to anything resembling "install linux".

I downloaded the Kali 64 bit image this morning, so it should be somewhat up to date.

What is the magic incantation I need to do in order to get the install process to install Kali on my hard drive from a live USB drive?

Fixed

Yesterday I was using a USB 3.0 drive in a USB 3.0 socket. This morning I reloaded the image onto the same USB drive but from a USB 2.0 socket. I've now got Kali installed.

You can also use rufus to create bootable USB. Then set Partition scheme to GPT and select DD mode to burn ISO.

In case you're booting from USB media, you should change the BIOS boot request, so the USB gadget is recorded first. Generally, the PC will stack from the hard drive as ordinary.
    Start by connecting the thumb drive to a USB port. At that point to change the BIOS boot arrangement
    Press the Power catch for your PC.
    During the underlying startup screen, press ESC, F1, F2, F8, or F10. (Contingent upon the organization that made your variant of BIOS, a menu may show up.)
    When you enter the BIOS Setup, the arrangement utility page will show up.
    Utilizing the bolt keys on your console, select the BOOT tab. The majority of the accessible framework gadgets will be show arranged by their boot need.
    Move Hard Drive Devices to the to expand to demonstrate all hard drive gadget options move USB gadget to the highest point of that hard drive list
    Spare the change and after that leave the BIOS Setup.
    The PC will restart utilizing the new settings, booting from your USB drive.
    Remain alert! Contingent upon your BIOS, you might be incited with a message to Press any key to boot from the outer gadget, and you will have a couple of moments to react. If you don't do anything, your PC will go to the following device in the boot succession list, which will probably be your hard drive.