Thread: Arm cross-compiler toolchain?

Arm cross-compiler toolchain?

What is the recommended solution for cross-compiling tools? The Kali Docs refer to an older version of the Linaro tools, which were available to be downloaded from Offensive Security's github site. At some point, Offensive Security deleted the toolchain section from github. I can download the latest version of the Linaro toolchain from their website. I might even be able to search the Linaro site and find an archived version of their tools that matches the Kali Docs. Or, if I search apt for arm-liinux, I see that there are a quite a few tools in the kali repos. Rather than try to guess which approach is better, I think it's best to ask the group for advice. Ideally, I would like to be able to duplicate the arm images available for download from the Offensive Security website. If someone could point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. Specifically, I want to execute the tools on an an X86-64 machine and target a 32-bit armh platform. Thanks!

I've continued to research this issue, and have identified 2 different approaches:
    1) You absolutely have to use the same tools that were used to make the original downloaded image. This insures compatibility between any changes you make and the rest of the compiled modules. Your changes are also more likely to be compatible with ongoing Kali updates.
    2) It doesn't matter which toolchain you use, because you'll have to recompile and make all anyway. Basically, you have created your own fork, and will be responsible for keeping it up to date.

Option 1 seems much more desirable to me.

I also realized that no matter which tools I used, I don't know how to get the same version of the source code that was used to create the ARM images available for downloading. For instance, right now most of the ARM images just say they're at version 2019.2. If I do an apt search for linux-source, the current source is linux-source-4.19. I have no idea how to get from the currently retrievable source code to whatever was used to create those downloadable ARM images. Are there patches to 4.19 or do I need to find archives of previous versions? I don't know. Again, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!