Hi Guys,

I had an old nexus 7 2012 knocking around so I decided to have a play

realised quickly no newer version of Kali would work with the old kernel so I used the unlegacy nougat rom with a 3.4 kernel

flashed magisk and gapps and a couple of magisk nethunter modules

everything worked a charm using minimal chroot

got apt running no worries did the usual apt-get update && apt-get upgrade -y && apt-get dist-upgrade

rebooted
did apt-get install kali-linux-all -y
ages later everything finish bar the linux header, once I created a couple of folder for these they installed fine.

go me

except when I start to try using some basics all sorts of problems

postgresql seems to have a shared memory issue
Code:
/etc/init.d/postgresql start
returns No PostgreSQL clusters exist

Code:
pg_createcluster 11 main --start
returns FATAL: could not create shared memory segment :Function not implemented

Code:
sysctl -w kernel.shmmax=268435456
returns cannot stat /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax: No such file or directory

nmap -A x.x.x.x
reboots the device completely no error returned first (get the first line of a normal nmap run first then reboot)

finally whilst the vncserver runs ok (tight) the desktop delivered lacks all the tools menus (seems like some old throw back with a very few menu items that actually relate to kali) not really had much of a play with that save changing a few lines in /root/.vnc/xstartup with little effect

The postgresql issue seemed like a kernel image issue so i did a bit of googling found the git hub and the python script and the cross compiler githubs downloaded all that and the kernel builds etc something like 6GB worth on a full kali vm went to build the kernel (after the bootstrap.sh by running the python script) before realising there are no kernel configs for grouper for nougat

So ... I am wondering if it is even possible to get the latest version of kali working on an old grouper device. so I have a few questions

1. would the lack of linux headers during the build (apt-get install kali-linux-full) have made any difference
2. has anyone successfully done a build with any grouper rom with a 3.4 kernel? if so which ones?

going to retry the minimal chroot again tonight making sure I get the linux headers right before anything this time.

If I download a kitkat rom with 3.4 kernel will I be able to use the nethunter install scripts with it?
If not where would I look to build something from scratch? or does anyone have any other suggestions

pretty close to just buying a nexus 9