Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building a kernel for the Razor Phone 2 - Live feed

almost had it yesterday. now the vanilla wont build . at least learning more then copy paste

You should now be the proud owner of a new kernel in arch/arm/boot/zImage or arch/arm/boot/zImage-dtb. We prefer to use the -dtb extension if given the choice. but in arch/arm/boot/ i have: bootp compressed dts install.sh Makefile : this is just the valila test kernel. make i get error no dts directory even though there. what is final step to make kernel. .

ok aech/arm64/....,. got image.gz

it wont even post my question i cant even decode lolScreenshot-2019-8-31 Screenshot.jpg

help plz read screenshot above plz

so did i **** someone off? just SOL?

Nah - it's not you, it's me
    We've been busy re-writing the kernel patcher and nethunter installer to deal with all the changes introduced by Android 9.
    The problems only popped up now because they are only enforced on devices that ship with Pie, which happened just recently.

We are all set now and can continue.

How are you going with the stock kernel?

The most important thing is to get a vanilla kernel built and successfully installed.
    We will almost certainly brick the device a dozen times so we have to be able to recover.

yea i noticed you had a bunch going on thats why i waited a few days. when you say stock im assume you mean arter97's. as long as i dont touch the mac80211 in the menuconfig it builds an image, image,zip image-dtb in arch/arm64/boot/ but no z-image like the wiki says. i have no clue what to do from there. i did look into compiling some but i spent alot of time on what seemed simple in post 54 is a screenshot of checking the mac80211 with and without patching. that i decided to wait. bricking is no problem its probably the one thing i can do is unbrick a phone and razor has a simple script to do just that at https://developer.razer.com/razer-phone-dev-tools/ the original source there to. so thats were im at is pretty much in post 54. i have no idea what else to do. ill be here probpabl;y all night. give me zips to flash ill flash them. point me to instructions to compile myself ill study up. tell me to jump ill say how high. snoogins lets do this

Don't worry about our wiki for now - that comes later.
    Building a stock kernel helps us evaluate what we can work with. No point trying to build a zImage if all the kernels for that devices usually ship as image-dtb.
    So the first discovery is that the stock configuration of the Angler kernel builds a "image-dtb".
    Perfect, that what we can work with.

Why don't you package that up using an AnyKernel3 template and test if that installs properly on your device?
    https://github.com/osm0sis/AnyKernel3

Fingers crossed.

what (how much) am i off. hundrededs of chown changing ownership .. not premited

oh it didnt put the edited anyfile

kernel.string=android_kernel_razer_sdm845 by Arter97 @ xda-developers
    do.devicecheck=aura
    do.modules=1
    do.cleanup=1
    do.cleanuponabort=0
    device.name1=aura
    device.name2=cheryl2
    supported.versions=6.0 - 9
    supported.patchlevels=2019-1 - 2019-03

block=boot
    is_slot_device=1;
    ramdisk_compression=auto;
    Last edited by nikmel420; 2019-09-05 at 13:55. Reason: new config

i get a security patch error flashing, phone says feb 5 2019. so not sure why that didnt work but should have in a few more attempts

hers the last logs
    Attached Files Attached Files

Let's make sure I get that right:

You installed the Arter97 kernel package from the xda thread ok?
    You compiled the Arter97 kernel without any modifications using the exact same installer scripts and it doesn't install.

Correct?

i fowlowed your instructions in post 4 to the letter. then followed the any kernel instructions. idsay i did it corectley. i started fresh on both over 20 times. and factory reset a few times. its very posible im not doing the any kernel corectly, but i dont see how

i used the image originaly i actualy never tried to install an untouched zip in twrp. doing now should of started there just came to me though

no his works i most not be doing something in the compiling

ok his specifies to flash to boot_a thought that would work if i changed in the anykernel.sh. well ll keep at it

I'd start with using the Arter97 kernel package and replace only the kernel image with the one you compiled.

I usually feel invincible and create a kernel from scratch with all the bells and whistles, then copy it into my own installer, install it and often brick my phone.
    When that happens, i.e. it doesn't work, I follow a systematic approach to eliminate as many uncertainties as possible. These are my steps:

1. Install a complete kernel package that is known to work (e.g. positive XDA feeback)
    2. Compile kernel using the source and toolchains of the kernel in step 1. without any modifications
    3. Replace the kernel in the installer with the kernel I compiled
    4. Re-compile the kernel multiple times, enabling more and more features, installing and testing if everything is still working as we go
    5. Apply patches to kernel, install and test
    6. Replace toolchains with the ones of your choice, compile, install, and test
    7. Replace the kernel installer used so far with the one of your choice, test installation
    8. Add system patches to the installer as required, install and test
    9. Add kernel to NetHunter installer and merge all modifications required.

Voila, that should get you there

Yes thats a good system . you know what your doing After i finished with post 4 i had no idea how to compile it let alone installer. So ive perrty much spent 48 hours doing differt combanations of how the 4 lines of intsructutions. Could be interpeated. I need paths there are usualy way more then 1 folder with the same name in a repository. But thevreadme never says what one its talking about. Or something as simple as are they seperate repositories, or is on cloned in the other. I know these are basic things you guys do subconcesly. But my eyes feal like the're bleeding. I know it anowing. I get frustrated when im in your place with things i know. I never even saw a linux pc before i acidently found pocket kali on whitedome last year. and decided learn something new. Ordered a gpd the next day. The fact that a softbricked nexus's were like 10 bucks on ebay. Sorry got off track. Theres one im gonna flash after posting this. And shut it down for a day. At least to rest my eyes then start again tomorow night. How about doing 1-3 on your list and give me a vanila one compiled corectly to flash. I dont know how to do corectly. So they are not realy test kernels. Know what i meen

yea ive got a problem better asked on xda. but its still probably if you make the test kernel.

i give up. ill gladley test but i cant do

I have a razer 2 phone rooted with magisk on arter97's kernel currently running and TWRP working. I have a backup on the phone and on my PC so I'm not afraid to get involved.

I also would love to use this phone with nethunter. Idk if you're still wanting to work on this @re4son but i appreciate your efforts thus far and will assist you in any way i can. I've been following this thread and attempting to build the kernel using the steps shown in main post but when I go to do the final make command it gives me this:

Untitled.jpg

i noticiced its closly related to the one plus one 6. or maybe not. ill get back on it but. the more i read the farther down the rabbit hole i find myself

Lol but took an hour to get on a Nintendo switch

To hard for my first attempt. So I head down to Atlantic city and made the craps table my ***** and got a oneplus7pro. (The secret bet with the house they always win) so I'm gonna follow a completed one start to finish to see see what the correct way is. I've still gotta do my gpd pocket too. So gotta hit the books

Oh and the switch that was a crazy find .the source code for the android kernel is on git github

That'll make it easier.
    Let us know when you got it and I'll walk you through this whole thing in a new threat.
    From zero to hero in 2 hours. How does that sound?

sounds great, but can we update your kernel on the gpd pocket. been so busy id forgoten what a great machine that is. i know thatll be easy for you so complicate it up for me some please. there were so many diferent guides. . so i . downfall of playing the Dark Side of craps is its slow and now im too drunk to root the 7 pro lol. took45 mins to find a machine with windows was close to just reinstalling

Hello re4son! It's me. Trix. Can you help me with my a5 2016 kernel?

Hello everyone, Is this thread still active at all ? Have you guys got anything to work for a possible kernel to have nethunter available for the razer phone ? I currently have both 1 & 2, someone got Ubuntu touch working for the razer phone I was hoping we can have nethunter possibly working for 2 or the 1 since Ubuntu touch works , I could maybe help but I would have to catch up , rooting my razer phone and creating backup so I could join the wagon wheel and help y'all out