Thread: Which external WiFi adapter should I buy?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Which external WiFi adapter should I buy?

Hello, I would be greatfull if you helped me figuring out what external WiFi adapter I should buy.
    Why I chose to ask you guys is because I've already searched the web for suggestions but every webpage I found is from 2017 or older so I wounder if they are "outdated" and if there is newer ones that perform better that maybe you know about, another reason I ask you guys is because I figure you are experienced with this kind of stuff.
    My purposes is mainly packet injection and sniffing in general if that matters at all.
    The computer I have installed Kali Linux 2019.3 on is an HP EliteBook 8460p
    What I found on the internet is mostly people recommending these: Alfa AWUS036ACH, Alfa AWUS036NHA, Alfa AWUS036NH, so what is your experience with those or any other experience with other adapter please share with me.

Thanks in advance!

Computer doesn't matter much as long as it can provide enough power over USB. If it can't, a powered USB hub can be used.

- AWUS036ACH, 802.11ac, needs to have a driver installed (which is still a WiP, so there can be issues). See Kali.org for the package to install.
    - AWUS036NHA, 802.11n, driver has been in the kernel and known to work well (and be stable) for quite a few years.
    - AWUS036NH, 802.11n, also uses a kernel driver, but in my experience ralink were not always reliable. It's a hit an miss, you may be lucky.

Check out the aircrack-ng FAQ, recommended cards entry is always up to date (although some cards may be harder to get).

TL;DR, if you just want something that always works, get the NHA.

I?ve been using the TP-Link WN722N for a few years and it?s been great. It uses an Atheros chipset but you HAVE to get version 1 because later versions won?t work. It?s very affordable at $10 but has a strong signal.

v1 hasn't been available anymore for a few years now and v2 and later don't have the same chipset.