Hi all,

Please let me know if I need to move this post elsewhere, googling this led to me being more befuddled and confused since everyone these days has books on this subject, and I'm overwhelmed by the amount of books out there they may or may not be worth buying due to poor content, or being a rehash of something else.

So I've recently gotten back into Kali Linux again. I took a class back in college that used it for a basic penetration class, the problem i had was the material. I took the class in late 2017 into early 2018 and the book we used was called Basic Security Testing with Kali Linux 2. By Daniel W. Dieterle the book was published back in 2016 and thus most of the links provided were either broken, or didn't work in conjunction with the provided examples. I was able to surf my way through since it was only a basic course.

That said, I picked the book back up and got about 1/3rd through until I hit the metasploit section and sadly I'm unable to download and run due to it being out of date material. But What I was able to cover was.

Recon-NG.
Detecting Host Names using Bing Adding API Keys.
Recovering Data from compromised site lists.
Recon-NG Pushpins.
All, if not most, of Shodan.
DMitry, Sparta, Netdiscover, and Zenmap, those these were only 1-2 paragraph long overview.
Then stopping at Metasploit.

The writer has written a more recent book, came out in 2018 and thus updated. But I was wondering if anyone here could provide me with any other books that may prove more useful to fully use and explore Kali Linux other than the follow up to the outdated book I have, or if I should stick with buying the updated version.

Thank you all