Thread: Kali light 32-bit 2019.3 grub install failure

Exclamation Kali light 32-bit 2019.3 grub install failure

The image was downloaded, verified and mounted on a 32GB USB key today (21/09/2019).
    The laptop was previously using Kali 64-bit (I had been under the impression that the architecture was amd64, when it was actually i386)
    The previous install worked just fine, but I wanted to try out the light version.

Installation went more or less as follows:
    First, the network wireless configuration fails to exchange keys (Tried 3 times. The network and password were correct, I am currently using the same network via live boot to post this)
    I skipped network configuration.
    Everything then went on fine, until grub failed to install.
    I was able to check the log, "grub-efi-amd64" was being called, but was missing.
    A bit higher in the log, it was stated that "grub-efi-amd64" couldn't be installed, but that it had replacement files, including "grub-efi-ia32".
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that a 32-bit install shouldn't be calling an amd64?
    CTRL+ALT+F2 and CTRL+ALT+F3 did nothing (documentation states that they should open a shell).
    According to some, the grub issue can be fixed by either:
    1. Turning off mirror, which I tried.
    2. Configuring the network to allow the installer to download missing packages, which does not work for me.

Is it possible that my image was corrupted or improperly mounted to my usb key?

The partitioner did work, so my previous Kali install was removed.
    I've been trying things with the installer, but I honestly don't know what I'm doing. (I just started the Kali class)

Does anyone have a solution to this?
    Thanks

Update:

I went out to a restaurant to test the installer using their wifi, the network configuration worked and I was able to go through the rest of the installer. Some grub packages were downloaded during the process. It seems my home network was the cause of the network error.

However, after a full reinstall, including what appeared to be a successful grub install, Kali does not boot. I get a loud beeping noise (thanks dell) with a BIOS error message. I went through the boot menu to manually select kali, the same thing happened.

Set boot order in BIOS settings.