Thread: ASUS USB-AC53 Nano not detected by "VirtualBoxed" Kali Linux

ASUS USB-AC53 Nano not detected by "VirtualBoxed" Kali Linux

Hi guys,

this is my first post here and I'm not an expert in Kali Linux or other virtualiszed OS. So now on forth to my question:

I have just bought an ASUS USB-AC53 Nano WiFi-Adapter and installed the necessary drives on my Windows 10 host. Now I've gone through several threads but none are able to help me with getting this Wifi Adapter to show on my Kali Linux VM 2019.3.

The adapter works fine on my host. I also already installed the "#sudo apt-get install kali-linux-wireless" packages but still the USB connector won't show. I've tried to creating a USB filter in Virtual Box to capture the device but it still won't show, even when I plug it in only after the Kali Linux has booted. It's also not listed on "lsusb".

When I'm connecting the dongle it blinks blue, so probably it connects with my computer and might be blocked by a host service. However I do not know which service it's being used for and how to turn it off.

I've now struggled 3h to try to get this to work. Unfortunately I cannot use my Lenovo Y50's onboard WiFi-Adapter, so I already spent money for the dongle. Turning now to you guys for a last call of distress.

Should you require more information, please let me know. I'll try to provide as much as I can.

what's the output of lsusb? What messages get added to dmesg when plugging it? What's the output of airmon-ng.

You are right, you won't be able to use your built-in adapter in a VM, that's a limitation of desktop virtualization.

Hi there @Mister_X,

well unfortunately the USB-Device isn't even recognized by Kali - both lsusb & airmon-ng are neither returning anything related to it. However I could selected to bridge via the device in the network settings of the VM. I'm currently running in network connection with NAT. Any suggestions?

The bridge stuff affects networking, which is, when virtualized seen as wired. But I don't think that's what you want to do.

If it isn't in lsub, then it isn't attached to the VM. There is an option to attach it in one of the menus.