Thread: Kali Linux 2019.3 USB Install Issue - Finish Disk Partitioning Error

Kali Linux 2019.3 USB Install Issue - Finish Disk Partitioning Error

Hello.

I really need some assistance with a Kali Linux 2019.3- Large x64 installation to a USB 3.1 Flash Drive. SHA256 hash values match (download vs. online values).

After following Kali website online materials re: creating a bootable USB (in Windows 10 via Win32 Disk Imager) and initiating Kali Graphical installation onto the USB, the installation halts once I click to finish disk partitioning and write changes to the disk (i.e, USB) (hard disk install documentation step #12). It reports that although it creates the desired partitions, it cannot report changes to the kernel and will use the old partitions (because some files are already in use during the installation process). The installer advises to reboot before making additional changes. Attempts to continue within the installer or to go back within the installer fail to get past this point. Attempts to reboot into the Kali Linux installer after rebooting fail. This results to looping back to re-partition and reformat the USB back into a single contiguous exfat partition within Windows Disk Management,make the USB bootable via Win 32 Disk Imager, and try the installation again - with the same results.

Using a Samsung MUF-128AB USB 3.1 FIT drive and creating the following partitions:

SCSI5(0,0,0) (sdb) 128.3GB Samsung Flash Drive FIT
    #1 Primary 119.9GB ext4 /
    #5 Logical 8.5GB swap swap

I would very much appreciate any assistance in getting by this issue.

The ideal end state is a bootable, portable, encrypted, persistent Kali Linux 2019.3 USB drive.

Thank you.

You need one bootable USB and another USB on which you want to install kali. Keep that partition unallocated and unassigned where you want to install kali. Installer will automatically recognise the free space and partition it itself.

Thank you, _defalt, for the quick response.

I appreciate it very much.