Thread: Monitor mode airodump-ng can not find a network

Monitor mode airodump-ng can not find a network

Hi, I melvin, i French i translate this message sorry for gramatical error !

Here I do a project on computer security and I try to demonstrate that it is easy to find a password wifi except that ...
    I am under kali linux, I have a network card type --> 03:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter (rev 31)
    And I can not find a wifi network when I run airodump-ng

That's what I do
    airmon-ng start wlan0
    airodump-ng wlan0mon
    Then the search starts and I still have nothing

Thank you, have a nice day

airmon-ng check kill

airmon-ng start wlan0

airodump-ng wlan0mon

Hello, I am having the same problem using the commands posted. I still can't scan any access point in both airodump-ng and aireplay-ng.
    I hope you can help me with this as well. Thank you!

Show the output of airmon-ng start wlan0

airmon-ng check kill shows nothing

airmon-ng start wlan0 shows:

Code:
    PHY    Interface    Driver        Chipset

phy0    wlan0        ath10k_pci    Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter (rev 31)

(mac80211 monitor mode vif enabled for [phy0]wlan0 on [phy0]wlan0mon)
            (mac80211 station mode vif disabled for [phy0]wlan0)
    airodump-ng wlan0mon shows:

Code:

CH  5 ][ Elapsed: 12 s ][ 2019-11-30 10:20                                         

BSSID              PWR  Beacons    #Data, #/s  CH  MB   ENC  CIPHER AUTH ESSID

BSSID              STATION            PWR   Rate    Lost    Frames  Probe
    i can still connect to the internet though.
    I've searched through the internet for this problem, but it's always unsolved. I believe it's the same problem with you?

I am also getting the same thing as Rururu's output
    I cannot find any solution for that.
    Can anyone help with that.

To run a scanner like airodump-ng you do not need to put the device in monitor mode so try starting Linux then just type

airmon-ng

Get the designation for the device in this case we will use wlan0

Now type airodump-ng and the device designation - again we are using wlan0 only as an example

airodump-ng wlan0

You should see a list of networks. Is it possible that there simply are no networks found?

Hello Everyone,

I have the same problem. Attaching screenshots. please help in understanding the issue behind this.

Thanks,
    Destro

Screenshot from 2020-02-02 22-34-34.jpgScreenshot from 2020-02-02 22-33-16.jpg

sudo ip link set wlan0 down

sudo systemctl stop NetworkManager.service

sudo systemctl stop wpa_supplicant.service

sudo iw dev wlan0 set type monitor

sudo ip link set wlan0 up

sudo iw dev wlan0 info

Hi,

It says after running the first command it says "Cannot find device "wlan0".

Please help.

please help with the problem.

Qca9377 pcie rev31 doesn't actually seem to support monitor mode. No one with this particular card has been successful getting it to function as intended even it gives no indication of any error.

root@deadlysin:~# airmon-ng

PHY Interface Driver Chipset

phy3 wlan0 mac80211_hwsim Software simulator of 802.11 radio(s) for mac80211
    phy4 wlan1 mac80211_hwsim Software simulator of 802.11 radio(s) for mac80211

i am getting this output first it wasn't showing anything after installing driver this is the out but still no wifi visible

unable to connect ot he wifi no wifi detecting

root@deadlysin:~# airmon-ng

PHY Interface Driver Chipset

phy3 wlan0 mac80211_hwsim Software simulator of 802.11 radio(s) for mac80211
    phy4 wlan1 mac80211_hwsim Software simulator of 802.11 radio(s) for mac80211

i am getting this output first it wasn't showing anything after installing driver this is the out but still no wifi visible

Quote Originally Posted by muroga View Post
    Qca9377 pcie rev31 doesn't actually seem to support monitor mode. No one with this particular card has been successful getting it to function as intended even it gives no indication of any error.
    I was able to run monitor mode in older versions of kali linux(2017 vers.) but current version doesnot support. only monitor mode was working not packet injection.

Quote Originally Posted by muroga View Post
    QCA9377 monitor mode worked in Kali 2018.2

I'm also facing issues with these but your text gives a little hope..

Quote Originally Posted by mmusket33 View Post
    To run a scanner like airodump-ng you do not need to put the device in monitor mode so try starting Linux then just type

airmon-ng

Get the designation for the device in this case we will use wlan0

Now type airodump-ng and the device designation - again we are using wlan0 only as an example

airodump-ng wlan0

You should see a list of networks. Is it possible that there simply are no networks found?

Actually I'm facing issues here...
    I use a non root realme C1 , nethunter, Kali Linux os ...
    So wanna do things with aircrack-ng , so when I go for ......:- ifconfig wlan0 down ....it says SIOCSIFFLAGS : permission denied

Quote Originally Posted by destroxxv View Post
    Hi,

It says after running the first command it says "Cannot find device "wlan0".

Please help.
    I think it's because your wlan0 is down, you can type 'ifconfig wlan0 up' to bring wlan0 up again.
    If you cannot do monitor mode it'ss because your wireless card's chipset (basically your wireless card) doesn't support airodump monitoring.
    I use tplink wn722n version1 which has the chipset of atheros9271. This ath9271 chipset support airodump etc.
    TPLink wn722n v1, WTXUP and other brands use ath9271 chipset. You not need to worry if you don't have tplink wn722n v1, just search for other brands that use ath9271 chipset. The main problem is the chipset.

I have the same card: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter (rev 31)

Running driver: ath10k_pci

After consulting the airordump-ng pages, it seems we need the ath9k driver to run monitor mode properly? So does that mean this particular PCI card just won't work for airmon?
    I can't do that, Dave.

I have the same card: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter (rev 31)

Running driver: ath10k_pci

After consulting the airordump-ng pages, it seems we need the ath9k driver to run monitor mode properly? So does that mean this particular PCI card just won't work for airmon?

In addition, Fern WIFi Cracker is unable to scan any APs, even though I'm in an apartment building with dozens of APs around me.
    I can't do that, Dave.

just use old firmware from https://github.com/marcost2/ath10k
    it fixes the monitor mode but not packet injection
    dont say you dont know how to install different firmware