Thread: Update

Update

I did an update yesterday on my Kali 19.2 and now the Terminal screens are white and my wifi card is no more working! Is there a way to undo the update?

crickets......

Undo all updates?? Yes - reinstall!

Thanks for the reply. I hate to reinstall as I have a lot of good running programs. I am not sure of the command to undo the update. Don't want to do more damage..

There is no command to undo the update. In theory, you could downgrade to the old version of all of the packages. However, that would require knowing the name & version number of each package that was originally on there. That is probably an impossible task.

In summary: Your best bet is to reinstall.
    Last edited by aaronouthier; 2019-11-16 at 23:26. Reason: Fix typo.

Hi, I found some info on removing the update and like you said one needs to know the name. The info gives a command to look into the log, but when I run the command I get "access denied" I have root privileges, but have no luck viewing the log!
    A reinstall would take forever to get back to today, not sure I could ever do it. I have programs I do not remember where I found them. I should have make a back up to and external drive which I have many. dumb

I have found this command that shows lots of file names, dpkg --list have to check it more.
    Last edited by cold iron; 2019-11-17 at 17:01.

Insert your Kali Installer, and boot from it, but instead of booting normally, select "advanced" and then choose one of the "Rescue mode" options.

That sounds good, I'll give it a shot. Thanks

Did that get you up and running? Were you able to retrieve your stuff?

I neglected to mention, that the purpose of getting into rescue mode, was to retrieve any desired info so that you can backup your stuff, and then reinstall. It will be soooo much easier than trying to downgrade your packages...

root@SpyKod:~# grep VERSION /etc/os-release
    VERSION="2019.4"
    VERSION_ID="2019.4"
    VERSION_CODENAME="kali-rolling"