Thread: Upgrade issues with pure-ftpd-common

Upgrade issues with pure-ftpd-common

The last few days I've been ha in this constant issue when running the command "sudo apt upgrade" where after a while it stops and gives me this error: Errors were encountered while processing: /tmp/apt-dpkg-install-JzVuOL/430-pure-ftpd-common_1.0.49-1_all.deb E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1) I even formated the micros card, checked it for errors, reinstalled the kali image (that worked perfectly before) and re ran the upgrade command and it keeps giving me the same error. I can't do anything right now because not only is it messing with the upgrade command but it makes all of the wifi adapters not show up (internal and 2 USB adapters). Even trying to get a 3.5 screen working on it is impossible. How can I get pass that error? Running "apt --fix-broken install" give some this: Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done Correcting dependencies... Done The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required: dconf-cli gtk2-engines-xfce hunspell-en-us libboost-system1.67.0 libcwidget3v5 libdouble-conversion1 libdrm-etnaviv1 libfile-readbackwards-perl libhavege1 libhttp-parser2.8 libhunspell-1.7-0 libilmbase23 libip4tc0 libip6tc0 libjemalloc2 liblinear3 libllvm7 libnftables0 libopenexr23 libperl5.28 libsnmp30 libssl-dev libwireshark11 libwiretap8 libwnck-common libwnck22 libwsutil9 libx265-165 libxfconf-0-2 perl-modules-5.28 python-ldap3 ruby-librex tigervnc-common Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them. The following additional packages will be installed: pure-ftpd-common The following packages will be upgraded: pure-ftpd-common 1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 18 not upgraded. 933 not fully installed or removed. Need to get 0 B/191 kB of archives. After this operation, 48.1 kB of additional disk space will be used.Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y Preconfiguring packages ... Setting up libcom-err2:armhf (1.45.4-1) ... Setting up libss2:armhf (1.45.4-1) ... (Reading database ... 245311 files and directories currently installed.) Preparing to unpack .../pure-ftpd-common_1.0.49-1_all.deb ... Unpacking pure-ftpd-common (1.0.49-1) over (1.0.47-3) ... dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/pure-ftpd-common_1.0.49-1_all.deb (--unpack): unable to open '/usr/share/doc/pure-ftpd-common/README.Authentication-Modules.gz.dpkg-new': No such file or directory Errors were encountered while processing: /var/cache/apt/archives/pure-ftpd-common_1.0.49-1_all.deb E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

If you figure out a solution to this let me know cause im having the same issue -- thanks

So I've been going at this all day but I'm new to Linux and I'm unable to find anything that can guide me in fixing this, buuuuuut, I have been able to narrow down what the issue is (it has to do with .gz.dpkg-new extension, the pure-ftpd-common .deb file, and something called symbolic directories/files). Here's what I'm able to suss out with my tiny linux brain:

Some the pure-ftpd-common .deb file when its being unpacked is trying to open or read or locate a file named /usr/share/doc/pure-ftpd-common/README.Authentication-Modules.gz.dpkg-new -- and this dpkg-new file extension appears to be the heart of the issue. That README file ending in dpkg-new is a symbolic link that dpkg is trying to read as an actual directory (i think).

I managed to be able to --configure -a my update but that still didn't fix the issue with pure-ftpd-common (though it did restore my video output to the GUI instead of the blinking cursor/mouse that I've had).

If there's someway to remove this symbolic link in the .deb file then I think it should upgrade fine.

I'll check back if I find out anything new.

I also have the same problem https://i.imgur.com/6fjmpVC.png

I had the same problem and following the process listed in message 20 here fixed it:

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=943874