Thread: Grub Repair BUT, BUT using Unknown Version of Kali, All FileSystems not Found, and Complete Noob

Grub Repair BUT, BUT using Unknown Version of Kali, All FileSystems not Found, and Complete Noob

Need to delete. Double-Post.

So back in 2015 I produced a Dual Booted HD which used GRUB to Dual Boot Windows 7 over Kali. I recently started to use the drive after 3.5years and put essential files on the Windows partition. Although I normally would'e hibernated my PC, I got distracted during a storm and which cut my power. When I turned the PC on it went into Grub Repair mode so I followed the basic tutorials to fix this with no luck (All the FileSystems I changed it to couldn't be found).

So I'm preparing to follow the tutorials regarding making a new Kali USB and using several mount/umount commands.
    My main objective is to restore the Windows Files and preferably get back into Windows but my issue is that not every tutorial I've read is consistent with others, I don't know what the original version of Kali I loaded from was if that significant, and having screwed up mounting/umounting on other Linux systems (after reading about what command and switches do what) I'm in a state of Limbo trying to give myself the best chance of getting this right.

So my questions:
    - When I make the new Kali USB, will I need the same version of Kali I originally loaded?
    - Some posters on askUbuntu suggested that one can just type "exit" at the "Grub" or "Grub Rescue" prompt and Windows automatically loaded for them (is this true; definitely didn't work for me and wasn't an available command in "Grub Rescue" which seems to be backed up by: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Troubleshooting)
    - When you boot from a Kali Live USB to perform the repairs what are you actually doing? Are you simply finding new grub files and replacing them in a file system (a file system which can't be found right now); are you remounting the File System? Seriously, with the simeple method using "> set", yadda, yadda resulting in FileSystem not found, how does one actually and reliably tell where the FileSystem actually is or if it even exists? Arghhh
    Last edited by PieMazim; 2019-11-24 at 23:29.

ls
    set root=(hd0,gptx)
    set prefix=(hd0,gptx)/boot/grub
    insmod normal
    normal

ls(LS) lists all partitions of your hard drive like this (hd0) (hd0,gpt1) (hd0,gpt2). You can make some guesses which one is your kali filesystem to replace the variable gptx.

Once you boot into kali open terminal and type:

grub-install /dev/sda
    update-initramfs -u
    update-grub