Thread: [Kali 2019.3] Stuck after login

Unhappy [Kali 2019.3] Stuck after login

Hello,

This is my first post here so bare with me, I looked through tons of solutions online and through this forum as well, I'm here as a last resort option.

I recently downloaded the 2019.3 iso of kali linux, and created a DD boot drive usb. I went to install, and everything went through smoothly apart from a single error saying that there are missing non-free .dat files. After installation, I successfully booted into the system, and entered in the username "root" and the password i set during installation. Then, after pressing enter, all buttons dissappear leaving only the backdrop for the login screen and then it just freezes there.

Ive looked online for quite a while for solutions, to no avail. Opening tty2 allows me to login with no issues, I cannot run apt-get as it does not connect to the wifi network and im not sure how to connect it through command-line. Anyway, after a short period of being on tty2 a large mass of text is outputted with no prompt on my end. Here are the first few lines of the output:

nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DRM: failed to idle channel 1 [DRM]
    BUG: unable to handle page fault for address: ffffb37b3bb55100
    #PF: supervisor write access in kernel mode
    #PF: error_code(0x0002) - not present page

(I have a photograph of the entire output if that is required, please let me know.)

Assuming that this was a nouveau issue, I followed an online solution stating during boot menu to add this line at the end:

nouveau.setmode=0

Still however, the output persists in tty2.

And logging in normally using the bootup command caused my screen to go black, but did not turn off and simply stayed stuck in that state indefinetly.

System specifications:
    Intel core I5-8300H
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti
    8GB DDR4 ram @2667MHz

I do have a dual boot system, including windows 10 as my other operating system.

I will be happy to provide any more information, thank you for your assistance.

Had the same problem this will fix you right up. https://devanswers.co/guide-kali-lin...tence-windows/ Don't use Rufus use Universal USB installer. If you want it encrypted there's a link I think it's in the first paragraph same tutorial just with encryption. Something wasn't going right with the way it is normally put onto the USB I'm just guessing. I don't know if it's Rufus, Lili, Kali no idea but I started having the same issue as you with 2019.02 , what I was doing until I found this article was installing any one other than .02 and upgrading into .02 then it would work, go figure. Use Universal Usb installer works perfect, just make sure the USB is formatted fat32 if your doing the encrypted when you get to the Mini partition wizard tool remember the encryption doesn't get a name and the space is unallocated no file system other than that with encryption and again I don't know why but you have to reboot twice before it works, sometimes once but usually twice. Just follow the instructions reboot sign in reboot again your done "Persistence".This way works every time as far as I know. You can also use the same tutorial to put it onto a SSD, HDD however big you want I have put Kali on a two TB with it, I'm including this in case you or someone else want to put it on an actual drive a lot of people me included have a nightmare using the USB installer it keeps saying there's no optical drive. I tried every way I could find to do it the right way but I can't get it to work. It's just easier to pull the drive plug in a Sata and do it like a USB. So here's this too if you ever want to try it. From Windows first use Mini Partition Wizard to format the entire drive fat32 Windows wont do it they have it locked so it wont format fat32 over 32GB or something like that I don't remember. Follow the guide till you go to make the USB and this time check show all drives your SSD or HDD will be there after the box is checked, then just follow the rest of the guide as normal. Both those tools are free just follow the links if anyone asks for money your in the wrong place. There is also a paid Mini Partition that's why I mention it you don't need to pay for it plus if your using Kali I'm guessing you know how to get paid things for free. Also Mini is in a newer version so it looks slightly different than in the pictures once it's open Green Button upper right hand side. Good luck hope it turns out well.

It's actually modeset, not setmode.

my bad, typed it that way. Typo in thread.