Thread: GL703 - Long delay loading desktop

GL703 - Long delay loading desktop

Hey everyone!

SO I decided to install kali in a dual boot fashion on my ASUS GL703.

I noticed that after I installed the nvidia drivers I had some issues with logging in. I have both a root and normal user account and they will both have a delay while loading into the desktop.

Initially the normal user had a pure black screen, no mouse cursor. I had to hard cycle the power and since I've been able to log in successfully.

Now however, when I log in I have a grey background with a cursor it just takes a couple minutes or so to display the desktop.

Long story short, I think its a nvidia driver problem. I dont anticipate gaming or anything crazy with the machine so should I just remove the nvidia stuff and use the kali default?

At this point would it just be worth fixing the nvidia issue? (Assuming thats the problem)

I'm at a loss, thanks!

I have installed Kali and Im observing the sme issue: system starts and a fray screen is there for about 30 seconds, then I get a login screen. But those 30 seconds looks too much. I have ran other linux version and they are really fast at loading, necer seen this bahaviour.
    I have a nvidia graphic card too on the laptop.

First thing, when there is an issue, regardless of the issue, is to check the logs. If there are error messages regarding the issue, look them up.

The only reason one would need to install nvidia drivers is because of doing GPU cracking. If you're not, then try just leaving nouveau if it works with the card (you can always disable it (blacklisting or at boot).