Thread: Grub Repair [PRECAUTIONS] - Unknown Version of Kali, All FileSystems not Found, and Complete Noob

Grub Repair [PRECAUTIONS] - Unknown Version of Kali, All FileSystems not Found, and Complete Noob

Kali version - UNKNOWN - BOOTED FROM USB IN 2015 ON FRIENDS SUGGESTION (QUESTION AND CONTEXT BELOW)Kali installation - HD
    Dell PC Boot Mode - Legacy
    I just wanted to make sure that I could assure myself the greatest likelihood of success given that there are a few unknowns in my situation and that I am very new to Linux.
    Back in 2015, at the suggestion of a friend I installed Windows 7 using Grub over Kali but am not sure what version of Kali I'd originally used. I stopped using the machine for over 3 years but started to use the Windows partition on the HD again and saved some essential files to it. After accidentally leaving my computer on during a storm, I came back to it to see that it had entered into Grub Rescue
    Code:
    Error: Unknown FileSystem
    grub rescue>
    I Googled how to fix this and based on these posts (1. https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...ue-Grub-rescue; 2. https://askubuntu.com/questions/2322...ub-rescue-mode) ended up doing the following along with other similar strategies which failed:
    20191119_200714.jpg
    Seeing that this method failed I got to several threads displaying different usages of the Mount Command after one uses a Kali Live USB BUT BEFORE I TOUCH THESE METHODS I WANTED TO ASK THESE QUESTIONS especially because in the past I screwed up a system using the "Mount"/"Umount" commands.
    - When I make the Kali Live USB, can I use any version of Kali to restore the system reliably soo I can get into the Windows Partition or do I need to know the version to prevent problems
    - Some threads I read seemed to suggest that it was possible to bypass Grub Rescue without a Live USB/CD and get the Windows partition to load directly. Is this true in anyone's experience. I read this page and it seems to suggest that this can be done at the "grub>" prompt but not the "grub rescue>" prompt (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Troubleshooting)
    Attached Images Attached Images

ls
    set root=(hd0,gptx)
    set prefix=(hd0,gptx)/boot/grub
    insmod normal
    normal

ls(LS) lists all partitions of your hard drive like this (hd0) (hd0,gpt1) (hd0,gpt2). You can make some guesses which one is your kali filesystem to replace the variable gptx.

Once you boot into kali open terminal and enter:

grub-install /dev/sda
    update-initramfs -u
    update-grub

Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    ls
    set root=(hd0,gptx)
    set prefix=(hd0,gptx)/boot/grub
    insmod normal
    normal

ls(LS) lists all partitions of your hard drive like this (hd0) (hd0,gpt1) (hd0,gpt2). You can make some guesses which one is your kali filesystem to replace the variable gptx.

Once you boot into kali open terminal and enter:

grub-install /dev/sda
    update-initramfs -u
    update-grub
    Thanks for the help. Unfortunately i'd actually tried that and for every dive I tried it gave me the "unknown file system" error.
    I'm now onto plan B, doing it with a Kali Live USB but doing it that way I'm basically being told that the disk's sectors are bad. I'll keep digging around.
    Thanks again for the help btw.