I recently installed Kali Linux on my Raspberry Pi Zero W and following this guideconnected it to my local WiFi network. I was able to connect just fine on the first try as well as the second try and I could update all of my packages using apt-get as well as try to download a file with wget.
Then after shutting down the Pi for a couple of days, I got back to it and tried to change the WiFi network to another in my house, but after trying to connect it wouldn't and I realized that I was actually connecting to a 5Ghz WiFi network, one which the Pi Zero W doesn't support.
I then changed my configuration settings back to the old WiFi SSID and password and rebooted, but my Pi wouldn't connect back to the network. I re-tried multiple times to no avail. I continued to get the following output and subsequent errors every time I boot up the Pi:

[OK] Starting Network Manager
Starting Hostname Service
[OK] Started WPA Supplicant
[OK] Started Authorization Manager
[OK] Started Modem Manager
Starting Raise Network Interfaces...
[OK] Started Hostname Service
brcmfmac: power management disabled
[FAILED] Failed to start Raise Network Interfaces
See "status networking.service" for more details.
[OK] Reached Target Network
Starting /etc/rc.local Compatibility
Starting OpenBSD Secure Shell Server
Starting Permit User Sessions
I had never seen the [FAILED] Failed to start Raise Network Interfaces line until after I tried connecting to the different WiFi network.
This is what I have set in my /etc/network/interfaces config file:

iface lo inet loopback
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid homewifinetwork1
wpa-psk Password1
I searched the internet for quite some time and tried multiple solutions, none of them working. So I have turned to asking my own question, hoping it will help me figure it out.