Thread: Booting Kali on a Microsoft Windows Machine, security and other issues.

Booting Kali on a Microsoft Windows Machine, security and other issues.

Hi I am booting Kali on a thumb drive, in a windows oriented machine. I am having an issue however because I don?t know if I would need to install all the pre-packaged software and updates before using this machine because it is brand new.

Another problem that I am having is that I really don?t want to blow $300 for anti-virus , as I have been told that I have to install this as well. I don?t know if anyone can confirm this is necessary, or maybe tell me how I can just switch up the OS to MAC OS?

All in all I am going to be using virtual machines and all of that as well.

I am going to be doing pen testing, some programming, coding and working on the deep web, and maybe even going into the dark web maybe to find some lost info that I need to get removed from there.

From what I have heard originally I don?t remember hearing that I needed to take the steps in the first part of my post. However I could be wrong. I am just a bit skeptical about registering a device before doing this stuff.

Even on the actual Linux setup I don?t know if I need some sort of protection or antivirus. I have been told that the virtual machines are enough.

Well.. some people can migrate from your VM to your localhost .. not sure how common that is though.. i would think running a VPN and having PSAD installed with maybe a good firewall would be enough ... maybe not ... depends really .. run some scans on your localhost and find your vulnerabilities and lock those down or close them out ... ask a friend to help you with that it may go faster .. and hey, makes for a time to have a beer or coffee with someone..

-DigitlRFYUG

Yeah, because to be more specific for you guys, I meant I was using a windows laptop that I bought. Digitlrfyug did you mean that I should run the VPN and PSAD on the linux virtual machine or the Linux itself?

Where do I download the iso and everything I am going to use? I don’t want the files to have any info stored of what machine they were created on.
    Last edited by Gear-HT; 2019-12-01 at 03:50.

I just installed Kali 2019.4. I went to run progresql and it is installed, but it gets to the last part and tells me the host is down. From that point on anything i do does not work because it is not connecting to the database.

Any suggestions on how to move that along?

Thanks

On localhost ..(your main OS you want to protect more than say a VM) are you using NAT or bridge for the vm?? If you are using bridge and have extra vpn licenses.. insert the vpn or download it in vm through bridge and run it in there also (if you feel inclined).. but keep in mind if your doing testing you may not always want your vpn on.. kinda case by case with whatever your doing but hey at least you?d have the option of flicking in the vpn while your in a vm if you went the mile and set it up.. I?ve done this before but don?t typically always use it.

Cheers!

-DigitlRFYUG

What about that actual local host and the anti-virus? The idle one, the windows OS? Do I need to install one or just leave it as it is? As far as whether I am using a Nat or a bridge, I believe it would be a bridge. What does a Nat require?

i am not sure if AV is needed so very much. can you use Kali but not Windows underneathh? good luck man

You can use Fedora underneath preferably.

A website like mine which is Altaifreelance.com, Is a good place to maybe use Kali because I don’t trust some of these companies such as Wix sometimes with my stuff.