Thread: upgrading Kali Linux 2019.4 but kali-undercover not working

upgrading Kali Linux 2019.4 but kali-undercover not working

showing error xfce4-notifyd: no process found

trying too many time rm -rf .cache/ .config/ .local/ && sync && reboot but no result

desktop not showing any file folder as like old version.

please check the attachment solve the problem

Thank You

Having the same problem. Good luck.

Same problem here I get bash: kali-udercover: command not found. I enter it again I get xfce4-notifyd: no process found and the top of the desktop says, Desktop settings restored.

I got the new interface that is really awesome. But no sign of kali-undercover. Error appearing : bash: kali-undercover: command not found.

having the same problem please help us

logout. When you enter your username to log back in and press enter a settings icon will appear to the lower right of the password field. Click this, and then select your options. This is a temp fix I believe.

kali-undercover

Quote Originally Posted by robertD View Post
    Having the same problem. Good luck.

You're still in gnome. You cant run kali-undercover in gnome. Logout. Enter your username and press enter. Enter your password, and then click the settings wheel below password field. Click the appropriate selection (xfce) and then login. Once logged in the desktop is going to look a bit different. You may now open a terminal and enter kali-undercover.

apt install kali-undercover

all working

I've done the upgrade in a Kali VM and everything says that the version is upgraded (uname -v and grep VERSION /etc/os-release) yet I am not able to run kali-undercover (command not found). Then I did a new persistent installation onto a USB and the kali-undercover command works just fine. Did a find / -iname *undercover* on both installs and the USB install has many files that match and the upgraded VM has zero files that match. Anyone know what's going on or how to fix?

UPDATE: I ran apt install kali-undercover on the VM and it installed. Thought I was good to go but when I ran kali-undercover I got the same error as others have seen xfce4-notifyd: no process found

Still trying to figure it out

Having the same problem.

Same here as I am also seeing the behavior others described.
    If I run systemctl --user start xfce4-notifyd the service will start and will show that it's running when I run systemctl --user status xfce4-notifyd. I will then run the kali-undercover command and nothing will happen at which point when I re-run systemctl --user status xfce4-notifyd the status will show as inactive (dead).

undercover worked only after a fresh installation

even i faced the same problem after upgrading but after fresh installation it worked well but later when I switched back to gnome to xfce, undercover didn't work
    so i think undercover only works for xfce only after complete removal of gnome

kali-undercover mode error solved

You are using gnome desktop environment and kali-undercover will work in Xfce mode.
    Switch to Xfce desktop environment using this command

update-alternatives --config x-session-manager
    xfce.jpg
    select /usr/bin/xfce4-session

re-login to the device and start undercover mode.

I am having the same problem too -> bash: kali-undercover: command not found

You must be using gnome desktop environment, kali-undercover will work in Xfce mode.

Make Xfce desktop environment as default by this command

update-alternatives --config x-session-manager

xfce.jpg

select /usr/bin/xfce4-session

re-login to the system and start Kali-undercover mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Krishna5500 View Post
    having the same problem please help us

no such command error

after upgrade use

I'm still getting xfce4-notifyd: no process found. I'm downloading Kali right now and am going to try a clean install and see if that works. I'll let you know.
    I dont know about you guys but I upgraded didnt clean install on all my Kali machines its doing the same thing on all of them. So it cant be us it's kind if hard to screw up an upgrade.

apt -y install kali-desktop-xfce

kali-undercover works only on xfce desktop from what I've tried.

Possible solution to undercover mode issue after upgrade

Hi all, this is an update to my previous post as I think I figured it out by digging up some old notes and resources. To preface, I am running my version of Kali on VMware Workstation 15 Player (though I don't think your version or brand of hypervisor should matter). I had also ran the # apt -y install kali-desktop-xfce as noted in the 2019.4 announcement page after I had performed the upgrade.

Steps taken (which it includes tinkering):
    1. # apt update (to check for updates); my list showed desktop-xfce kali-upgradable.jpg

2. # apt upgrade (this may reveal that nothing was upgraded on your system, but it's worth a shot to make sure)

3. After trying the kali-undercover command again to no avail, I ran # apt install kali-defaults kali-root-login desktop-base xfce4 xfce4-places-plugin xfce4-goodies Again, I found for my system that all was up-to-date and nothing new was installed.
    4. I then ran # update-alternatives --config x-session-manager and saw my choices where clearly one was the xfce4-session Kali-update alternatives.jpg so I chose that one to try and force the xfce environment.

5. I re-ran the kali-undercover command, and still nothing.

6. I then figured it would be best to get rid of gnome so I ran # apt-get remove gnome-core gnome-session

7. Rebooted, re-ran kali-undercover and voila!

I also completely shutdown and fired Kali up again from cold boot to make sure the changes stuck. The changes did stick as I noticed that it launched right into undercover mode. If you want to go back to xfce just run # kali-undercover stop

So far, so good. Hope this helps!

It's the upgrade.
    I downloaded and ran Kali off of a live USB opened the terminal typed kali-undercover and I'm looking at Windows 10. Same thing installing onto Hdd, SSD or Hybrid. I also ran a copy of .3 upgraded to .4 and it wouldn't work again. Something is breaking it for some of us in the upgrade is all I can say.
    Hope this helps everyone out.
    Time to back up download and reinstall.
    The upgrade is also breaking Matasploit dont bother trying to fix it six hours nothing reinstall typed msfconsole then Armitage it ran no problem.
    I'm going to submit a bug and apologize to the guys at Metasploit.
    Have a good one.

I've been able to fix both issues

- kali-undercover: command not found
    -
    xfce4-notifyd: no process found

To fix the
    kali-undercover: command not found issue you need to install kali-undercover. For some reason it isn't getting installed on some, or all, upgrades.

Command to install:
    apt -y install kali-undercover

Once you done this and then try to run kali-undercover you'll probably get the
    xfce4-notifyd: no process found error.

To solve this you need to reboot and change to the xfce desktop environment at logon. For some there's a gear drop down for me it wasn't a gear but there is a drop down to change to xfce. NOTE: I recommend entering the user name and password (without completing the logon) and then changing to xfce as it will change back to the default within about 15 seconds. Once you've got the user name and password sitting there waiting to press the Enter key and you've switched to xfce then press Enter to logon and then run the kali-undercover command. It should work for you. I have done this on two virtual machines and it has worked on both.

HTH,

Robert

Thank you Guys! Its up and running well in my system.
    Things i did :
    1) sudo apt install kali-undercover
    Error appeared : E: unable to locate undercover package ( Fixed the issue simply by altering sources.list )
    2) ran same command sudo apt install kali-undercover : Worked this time.
    3) rebooted
    New interface of 2019.4 started appearing
    activate unsercover by typing kali-undercover on terminal
    few things were not working like start button
    4) sudo apt -y install kali-desktop-xfce
    5) rebooted
    Everything starts working fine!
    You guys are awesome! Thank you for help.

Hi Robert, did the same thing and it worked but do i have to keep doing the same thing every time i log on to my machine? can't i set xfce session as the default?

yes Brother, its worked. Thanks a lot

hi, I have a problem. I downloaded kali linux from the Microsoft Store, once downloaded and installed, I followed all the steps to make Kali work in a remote desktop, and I did it, by entering my credentials inside Kali linux, but if I start any app (terminar, browser ...) gives me this error: failed to execute default terminal emulator (in this case Terminar), I don't know how to solve, there is no such thing on your forum. and then I realized that the dock was missing, all the tools, how come ?, I don't want to install kali linux in my pc thus creating the dual boot, because it is annoying every time I have to choose the OS at startup. Thank you. PS: I have already contacted Microsoft they said that I have to contact you and therefore not them. Thanks so much

Paolo, best thing I can suggest you is to create a Kali linux bootable pen drive and use it as and when you need. Creating dual boot is not recommended by Windows and Your device's company (eg HP) . It may void your warranty as well.