Thread: Can't seem to find zenmap, other tools

Can't seem to find zenmap, other tools

I installed what I believe was the 'full' version of Kali Linux on a virtual machine for an online class I'm taking. I seem to be missing several tools/etc though. I'm super new to this and can't figure out how to install them or even where to find some of them (zenmap especially). Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Zenmap is no longer maintained upstream and we had to drop it. What other tools are you looking for that are missing?

Oof, that's what I was kind of afraid of. Are there any alternatives? As I said, I'm super new to this so I'm worried about anything being too different from the videos. I guess it'd be good to learn though. Also, I don't remember exactly what else was missing, just remember thinking a few times that I didn't have a lot of the programs the guy in the video had.

Unfortunately I don't believe there are any alternatives that are like zenmap. Nmap is the command line version which you will be able to use, if you just copy the commands that the video has then they will all work. Be sure to look at the man page and help output of nmap for a good idea on what the different flags are in case they dont say in the videos

On any other things being missing, those would be great to know of. With python2 end of life coming soon, there were a number of packages that we had to drop as they were not bumped up to python3. This may be what the issue is, or perhaps the video is quite dated. If an apt update && apt install doesn't find you the package that the video has, please try to take note and mention those.

ettercap has a function similar. Or install crazyipscanner.

My solution for zenmap from old kali linux version 2019.3 copy a all folder from (usr) to an new vesion but when you move copy folder to user say skip folder

7. Having never used Zenmap, I'm just curious as to what is missing from nmap? nmap works beautifully.

Dash to dock and many package is missing

Quote Originally Posted by Rasalom View Post
    Having never used Zenmap, I'm just curious as to what is missing from nmap? nmap works beautifully.
    python2 is ending 2020 so everything is reverting to python3 .
    easy to start; hard to finish

10. Quote Originally Posted by bigbiz View Post
    python2 is ending 2020 so everything is reverting to python3 .
    I know that, what I meant was why not just use namp instead of zenmap,

Can I tap into old repo (by adding a link in the source) and get it back using apt-get update && apt-get install zenmap ?

Zenmap likely requires other python2 packages so it's unlikely that just adding the old repos and installing it would do what you want. The correct approach would be to either convince upstream to port it to python3 or port it to python3 and submit it as a pull request to their repo. Alternatively, learning to use nmap from the command line, which can be very powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by steev View Post
    Zenmap likely requires other python2 packages so it's unlikely that just adding the old repos and installing it would do what you want. The correct approach would be to either convince upstream to port it to python3 or port it to python3 and submit it as a pull request to their repo. Alternatively, learning to use nmap from the command line, which can be very powerful.
    Already using it , It really is nice and very powerful.