Thread: Can't get out of kali undercover

Angry Can't get out of kali undercover

I just did a fresh install of the newest kali version and wanted to test out the undercover mode
    ofcourse this worked but there is not taskbar in my undercover mode and when i try to get back to the non undercover mode it says that is is only available on xfce desktop
    how the **** did i get here then if it thinks i'm not using xfce....

did you find the fix?

i'm having the same issue

Hey folks, I was having this issue too, but I was able to solve it by reinstalling the kali-undercover pakage.

apt install --reinstall kali-undercover

Hope that helps!

Any fix for this?
    I entered this mode by the menu and cant get back to normal.
    When typing kali-undercover in terminal a few things changes back but not everything.
    When typing sudo kali-undercover = ERROR: Undercover Mode only works on Xfce desktop

Tried sudo apt-get reinstall kali-undercover and sudo apt-get reinstall xcfe4, rebooting
    I got the normal appearance when logging in as another user or root.

Red face Solution

Quote Originally Posted by Joren View Post
    I just did a fresh install of the newest kali version and wanted to test out the undercover mode
    ofcourse this worked but there is not taskbar in my undercover mode and when i try to get back to the non undercover mode it says that is is only available on xfce desktop
    how the **** did i get here then if it thinks i'm not using xfce....

I use " xfce4-panel " in terminal with root premission . After i use " kali-undercover ". For me it works ..... Have fun

I just solved it by ultimately logging as Root after a reboot.
    When I switched user, I was able to go back by entering: kali-undercover

Hi Guys,

I was having the same issue and after trying multiple times to fix, I was unable to get out of undercover mode. I had no taskbar as well. In the terminal I tried to remove and reinstall the xcfe4 desktop and was unable to do that. I also tried to use the command Kali-undercover and I would get the same massage that it only supports xcfe4 desktop.

How I fixed the problem.

This was not my ideal solution as I was trying to code my way out of the kali undercover interface via the terminal. After several attempts, I figured I would power of my machine and restart it, and still I was in Kali Undercover mode "Windows Desktop" So the only way I was able to get back to my Kali VM "back to normal mode" and no Kali Undercover was to go into Virtual Box and go back to a previous snap shot "hence snap shots are important to take" or I would have had to delete and rebuild my Kali VM. At this point the Kali VM started as usual. So to test out the bug I went into undercover mode again. Just like I did the first time and this time I was able to back out of Kali Undercover by issuing the command "kali-undercover" Also if typed in the command "sudo apt install xfce4" and it stated that xfce4 is already the newest version and xfce4 set to manually installed. This makes no sense. The only thing that I can think of, is previous configuration changes I have enabled in the past may have affected this. Unfortunately I'm unable to recall those config changes. I was recently trying to set squid proxy, but I don't think that would have messed with the situation we are dealing with. I will keep you updated if I find out anything more.

Hello, this doesn't work for me, I cannot go back to the kali desktop environnement, I have tried everything. I think the only solution for me is to loose all me work on my default user and to create an other one. Has anyone a working solution for going out of the undercover mode ?

Thank you for your time

This works!!