Hello, I've been recently experiencing an issue with the latest version of Kali Linux (2019.4 / 64-bit) regarding a specific Wi-Fi adapter, the TP-Link TL-WN7200ND.

Whenever I connect this device to my PC, it's shown as "device not ready" in the network applet. After a clean install, "iwconfig" shows it as wlan0, which is normal. Once I put it in monitor mode,its name changes to wlan0mon, which again, is pretty much normal.

However, monitor mode doesn't work with this adapter, it detects no APs, no clients, zilch, zero, nothing. After I switch it back to managed mode, its name looks like gibberish, something like wl9xicn2y28. The thing is that any other adapter I connect to the PC has a similar name instead of wlan0 or wlan1.

I can confirm that the TL-WN7200ND device is supported, or at least was, since I've been using it on another device (a laptop) running Kali Linux 2019.3 64-bit. It still works on the laptop without an issue, so it's not about the adapter being faulty, or the cable, or the USB ports (since the other adapter works just fine on the PC).

I've tried doing everything from other threads, tried installing the headers and firmware files (which are already the latest version, so no dice), tried blacklisting the rt2800usb like some users suggested, but again, to no avail.

I would also like to mention that using TL-WN7200ND on the laptop can be done by merely plugging it in, no additional step needs to be taken. Please help me sort this situation out, or let me know if there's nothing else I can do, so I can just let it go.

tl;dr - TL-WN7200ND is not properly detected by desktop PC (device not ready), but works absolutely fine on my laptop. Also, other Wi-Fi adapters work fine on the desktop PC. Please help me fix it.