Thread: Nexus 5 D821 Unable to put wlan0 into monitor mode

Nexus 5 D821 Unable to put wlan0 into monitor mode

I have a new Nexus 5 D821 and flashed a stock 6.0.1 (M4B30Z, Dec 2016) AOSP ROM onto it from the official Google source here, then flashed TWRP onto recovery and installed Magisk to get root. I did the Google first-time setup first, initialized Magisk and then installed Kali Nethunter 2019.4 via TWRP. Almost everything appears to work, except for the part that is most important to me which is getting the WiFi interface into monitor mode. I installed Nexmon via the Kali Store, but when I run the app it immediately crashes. There is no monstart-nh or monstart.nh to source anywhere (after searching with find / -iname monstart*) and running Kismet results in the following errors:

Code:
    SOURCEERROR Source wlan0 has encountered an error. Kismet will attempt to re-open the source in 5 seconds (45 failures)
    wlan0 failed to put interface 'wlan0' in monitor mode: failed to set mode on interface 'wlan0': Operation not supported
    wlan0 failed to create monitor vif interface 'wlan0mon' for interface 'wlan0': failed to create monitor interface wlan0:wlan0mon
    Everything I read before getting the Nexus 5 told me this was possible, but I have not been able to get it to work. I suspect it all comes down to whatever is causing Nexmon app to crash. Any troubleshooting assistance would be appreciated.

I have the same model, I can confirm Nexmon just crash like yours. I always used an external USB wireless card through OTG before Nexmon showed up... And I just sill keep using it. Never managed to put wlan0 in monitor mode.