Thread: kali 2019.4

kali 2019.4

Just install kali 2019.4 I used my normal password and when it boots it says wrong password! I thought I messed up on the installed so I redid it, again, the same thing!!
    Does anyone have this?

Quote Originally Posted by cold iron View Post
    Just install kali 2019.4 I used my normal password and when it boots it says wrong password! I thought I messed up on the installed so I redid it, again, the same thing!!
    Does anyone have this?
    try "toor" or your passwd in caps lock

I have the same issue on two different systems with distinct hardware after upgrading to 2019.4. I both cases I can login to a console but not to the GUI. /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old (or .1.log.old) contains the error, ? xf86closeconsole kdsetmode failed input/output error?.

I had this happen recently on 2 of my VMs after running the updates.

I believe that there's nothing wrong with the root user or password but that gdm was reset to disallow root login.

This appears to be the case as I was just able to fix it on one of them by logging in as another (non-root) user, opening a terminal, and running:

Code:
    su -c 'gedit /etc/pam.d/gdm-password'

You'll be prompted for the root password (and you'll notice that it works). Next find this line and comment it out:

Code:
    auth    required    pam_succeed_if.so user != root quiet_success

Save and close gedit. Then either reboot the machine or restart gdm (service gdm restart). You should be able to login as the root user now without issue.

If you don't have another user setup, you should be able to use the grub menu to edit the boot parameters and specify runlevel 3.

From here, you should be able to accomplish the same thing logging in directly as root and using vi and nano to edit the gdm-password file.

I SOLVED this issue by installing and configuring the XFCE desktop environment, per the instructions found here: https://www.kali.org/docs/general-us...p-environments
    (I unsuccessfully tried to solve it first by reinstalling the gnome desktop environment on a test system)