Thread: using kali with an amd processor iommu error

using kali with an amd processor iommu error

hello all this is my first post but i am fairly familiar with kali and its installation. i have installed it as a live usb and a dual boot on a secondary hard drive on my main computer. i decided to revive one of my old gaming PCs that is just a case, mobo, AMD a10 processor and ram. the board boots to the bios just fine but when i try to load the live usb it gets to the select screen but when i try to run live i get
    "amd-vi: [firmware bug]: : IOAPIC[0] not in IVRS table"
    "AMD-VI: [firmware bug]: : No southbridge IOAPIC found"
    "AMD-VI: Disabling interrupt remapping"

i believe i have traced this to an IOMMU error and have tried several things to fix this including changing the grub loaded to "amd_iommu=on IOMMU=pt" this looked like it worked a little bit but i just get the start up splash screen and it restarts everything without loading kali. i also tried using the live usb to install kali on a secondary usb as well as moving the hard drive i have it installed on from my main computer to the old one im working on and it all gets the same error. i went through the install i have on on the hard drive from my main and modified the grub loader in it but it still did not fix the issue. i have also run varying combinations of having the SVC on or off (my bios does not have any options for IOMMU and there are no new versions of the firmware).

if anyone knows how to fix this please let me know.

i know i hate myself for doing this as well but i need to bump this because i still havent found a fix for this and i really dont want to get a new mobo and cpu just for this kali project.

just in case someone else has this issue, i managed to fix it by adding "nomodeset" to the grub. it still gives an error message but it at least boots

how did u add "nomodeset" to the grub?

Quote Originally Posted by crashoverride68 View Post
    how did u add "nomodeset" to the grub?
    wow the forum takes a week to send the reply email apparently, anyways. when it boots to the grub screen to select the kali version or the advanced/troubleshoot option, press "E" to access the grubs boot options on the standard kali install. then go to the linux line and replace "quiet" with "nomodeset" i think you can leave the splash option but i dont remember off the top of my head. this will only work for that boot instance so you will have to go in and edit the permanent boot options once kali fully boots.

edit the permanent boot commands:

sudo nano /etc/default/grub
    replace "quiet" with "nomodeset" save and exit

sudo update-grub

done, as long as it saved properly you should boot every time.