Thread: Installed a fresh version of Kali and now things are screwy

Installed a fresh version of Kali and now things are screwy

So I did a fresh install of Kali in vmware and I used the vmware iso https://www.offensive-security.com/k...mage-download/ . I did and update and upgrade after installing but I am still having problems. A lot of the UI is very buggy, flashing and such. Also many commands dont work anymore. For example when I type ifconfig I get a "bash: ifconfig: command not found" also the openvpn command gives me the same error. There have been many others that dont work but others do. I can remedy this by going into tmux. Once I go into tmux these commands work again. I'm not sure whats wrong, I've installed three times and same results. Any thanks for any help!

So I joined this forum just to help with this problem, but I'm pretty sure I'll also be asking tons of questions. Well, Kali likes to play well only with root. But, obviously you don't wanna do everything as root. After much internet searching and frustration with the simple use of net-tools in Kali, I decided to just run ifconfig as "sudo ifconfig" and voila it works. I'm assuming you've set a sudo account. If you continue to have trouble, I found a few other solutions that may help. Good luck.

And don't forget; The NSA can see your **** in your hand.

The command 'ifconfig' is long deprecated. Use 'ip' instead.