Thread: Win10 and Kali Linux 2020 dual boot

Win10 and Kali Linux 2020 dual boot

Hello I am having issues when installing Kali Linux 2020 everything complete but then it bring be to a logon screen I log in but this doesn't use a graphical interface it is all black like cmd or terminal and I only remain in a terminal.

It reads:
    Kali GNU/Linux Rolling kali tty4

kali logon:
    password:

After I log in I remain in that window and when I try startx or sudo startx it doesn't work. From my understanding this was supposed to have a graphical interface because I selected desktop under software during the install.

Hi, i am facing a similar issue. kali opening in text mode and startx not working. The version 2020.1 has been creating this issue. i have also setup a thread on it but there has not been a word despite 39 views yet.

Try this:

systemctl status display-manager

systemctl start display-manager

am having the same issue no GUI after installation and my wifi is not being detected

I am also having the same issue. Fresh Win10 install. Fresh Kali 2020.1 install. Boot up into text mode login. i can login in using the user name and pass I made. there's no sudo (-bash: sudo: command not found), there's also no su (wants a password that I never made)

Quote Originally Posted by rollercoaster View Post
    Try this:

systemctl status display-manager

systemctl start display-manager
    I tried both of those commands and they both return "Failed to connect to bus: No such file or directory"

I've googled for the past 3 days trying new things and can't find a single fix.

i just did a dual boot in Fusion with win10 and kali 2020.1 and everything went smooth, i ran the installation using the live iso of kali, resized the windows partition with gparted and installed kali on the new ext4 partitio, also created a 2gb swap partition for it. Not sure if you guys are still having issues with this.

Quote Originally Posted by au10tic View Post
    i just did a dual boot in Fusion with win10 and kali 2020.1 and everything went smooth, i ran the installation using the live iso of kali, resized the windows partition with gparted and installed kali on the new ext4 partitio, also created a 2gb swap partition for it. Not sure if you guys are still having issues with this.AppValley
    Thank you so much for proper guide @au10tic..
    I have installed windows 10 and Kali Linux 2020 properly using this way...

UPDATED (I have tested in Windows 8)

Regards
    MalanMC
    Last edited by MalanMC; 2020-04-10 at 07:32. Reason: Tested with Windows 8