Thread: webcam

webcam

Does anyone know of a webcam make / model that has native / plug-n-play support in Kali rolling? I tried Logitec C615 but couldn't get it to work so far.

Hypervisor: VMware? Workstation 15 Pro
    OS: Linux kali 5.3.0-kali2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.3.9-3kali1 (2019-11-20) x86_64 GNU/Linux

I plugged a microsoft lifecam into the usb port of an Odroid C2. Running Kali rolling for ARM - Hardkernel Odroid C2.
    i ran
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install cheese
    It ran right away. It is a simple webcam taking snapshots or video. Ineed something with motion detection.
    So I tried the three top rated packages.

Zoneminder
    Xeoma_free (ARM)
    and Motion
    All I got was 'Unable to locate package' for xeoma and motion
    Zoneminder has a step by step set up guide, but uses mysql which has been replaced by a different database and appears to end up have some references wrong in the repository.... or the wrong pkg in the repository. iconor or iconnor-master.
    After purging it and auto removing - update still tries to reference a bad ip in the package iconnor. I cant get rid of it! I will have to reload my eMMC chip with a clean OS. It takes 4 hours! arrrghhh

xeoma documents 'Unable to locate" as incompatible with your OS. I'm not sure if it is the same problem with the other two
    I'm looking to set up motion activated video capture into an Hardkernel Odroid C2 . Im using the Kali rolling ARM image for that hardware.
    good luck
    mud

Quote Originally Posted by muddy View Post
    I plugged a microsoft lifecam into the usb port of an Odroid C2. Running Kali rolling for ARM - Hardkernel Odroid C2.
    i ran
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install cheese
    It ran right away. It is a simple webcam taking snapshots or video. Ineed something with motion detection.
    So I tried the three top rated packages.

Zoneminder
    Xeoma_free (ARM)
    and Motion
    All I got was 'Unable to locate package' for xeoma and motion
    Zoneminder has a step by step set up guide, but uses mysql which has been replaced by a different database and appears to end up have some references wrong in the repository.... or the wrong pkg in the repository. iconor or iconnor-master.
    After purging it and auto removing - update still tries to reference a bad ip in the package iconnor. I cant get rid of it! I will have to reload my eMMC chip with a clean OS. It takes 4 hours! arrrghhh

xeoma documents 'Unable to locate" as incompatible with your OS. I'm not sure if it is the same problem with the other two
    I'm looking to set up motion activated video capture into an Hardkernel Odroid C2 . Im using the Kali rolling ARM image for that hardware.
    good luck
    mud
    That's a good webcam u got threre.