Thread: Kali setup Version 2020.1 installed but does not boot in GUI mode

Angry Kali setup Version 2020.1 installed but does not boot in GUI mode

Hi Forum,

This is my first post. In case i do not understand certain norms/protocols of asking in forums, pardon me.

Recently i had downloaded and installed kali 64bit OS versioned 2020[]dual boot with windows 10.1 in dell latitude. The setup completed successfully with some observations

1. unable to change bootable to YES
    2. no option to setup root password[i later discovered this version does not give root user role]
    3. user/ID defined during setup, but there was no option to assign admin/root access to the defined role.

After rebooting, kali boots in text mode instead of GUI mode. There is a firmware issue which is mentioned due to which the GUI does not load. The problem does not end there. The text mode begins tty1.

Since the user created during installation process does not have root permission, i am unable to run startx or any other update commands. Also, despite connecting the lan cable for providing internet access, there is not internet connectivity for kali. So, despite additional effort there is no scope to run update commands.

I am desperately seeking support. Request all folks to please picture my steps and shed some light so that i can begin my plans with kali.

Regards
    Neo

Install GDM3

Hi Bro,

I had a similar problem.

What is did was to install gdm3 to solve the issue.

1) Go to /etc/apt
    2) Edit Sources.List
    3) Add a repository where I added the below:
    deb http://kali.download/kali kali-rolling main non-free contrib
    deb-src http://kali.download/kali kali-rolling main non-free contrib
    4) Do this command: sudo apt-get update (it will prompt you the password for the current user - the one that you created while installing 2020.1)
    5) Then do this command: sudo apt install gdm3
    6) Reboot and you should be able to login to GUI.

Thanks,
    Arun

Quote Originally Posted by Neo_Kalinator View Post
    Hi Forum,

This is my first post. In case i do not understand certain norms/protocols of asking in forums, pardon me.

Recently i had downloaded and installed kali 64bit OS versioned 2020[]dual boot with windows 10.1 in dell latitude. The setup completed successfully with some observations

1. unable to change bootable to YES
    2. no option to setup root password[i later discovered this version does not give root user role]
    3. user/ID defined during setup, but there was no option to assign admin/root access to the defined role.

After rebooting, kali boots in text mode instead of GUI mode. There is a firmware issue which is mentioned due to which the GUI does not load. The problem does not end there. The text mode begins tty1.

Since the user created during installation process does not have root permission, i am unable to run startx or any other update commands. Also, despite connecting the lan cable for providing internet access, there is not internet connectivity for kali. So, despite additional effort there is no scope to run update commands.

I am desperately seeking support. Request all folks to please picture my steps and shed some light so that i can begin my plans with kali.

Regards
    Neo

I installed kali linux 2020.1
    And it booted into text mode without gui
    I ran several commands to start the gui but none worked
    The only option i had was to connect to internet
    I tried using several commands to connect to my WiFi and also failed
    I was so determined to connect to the internet until
    1 final hopeful idea came up
    I tried to off my phone hotspot
    Connect phone to computer using USB and finally switch to usb tethering mode from my phone.
    That's how i got internet access and downloaded my linux gdm3 gui.
    I'm glad it was successful.

I followed this instruction to be able to download the gui

1) Go to /etc/apt
    2) Edit sources.list.
    e.g sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
    e.g added the above 2 lines
    4) Do this command: sudo apt-get update (it will prompt you the password for the current user - the one that you created while installing 2020.1)

Finally ran: systemctl start gdm3

And it started the gui.

So the setup went successful? Are you able to login as root via terminal? If so, that is already a good indication.

In 2020.1, root as default user is removed.

Solution:
    Set password
    $ sudo passwd root

Then reboot as user:root and password (as created in above step).
    $ sudo reboot

There is bug in 2020.1 Installer ISO. About 140+ packages are missing in offline installer. Also, few packages are missing in APT package manager. To install Kali Linux with default options (XFCE DE), installer needs Internet connection to download missing packages from Kali repository. If you try to install Kali offline, you will end up with text GUI.

Hey... i upgraded my kali installation from 2019.4 to 2020.1 but it still uses root even tho when i run grep VERSION /etc/os-release it shows am on 2020.1. i was following this thread looking for answers so maybe you can help me out.

Quote Originally Posted by La Casa View Post
    Hey... i upgraded my kali installation from 2019.4 to 2020.1 but it still uses root even tho when i run grep VERSION /etc/os-release it shows am on 2020.1. i was following this thread looking for answers so maybe you can help me out.
    An upgrade does not create a new account, you would need to do that manually via adduser (make sure to add the user to the kali group as well as others) - or do a fresh installation to have it created by the installer.

You're lucky!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pradpat View Post
    In 2020.1, root as default user is removed.

Solution:
    Set password
    $ sudo passwd root

Then reboot as user:root and password (as created in above step).
    $ sudo reboot
    please more info for thiis solusion....

thank....i decide to just do a fresh install

I had a similar issue, but managed to solve it.

I downloaded the official ISO, burned it into a USB stick using Rufus, booted, installed, rebooted... no GUI.
    I tried the netinstall ISO. Same result.
    I tried the LIVE ISO. The live boot was fine. GUI, Wifi drivers, etc... But it does not have the option to install from the live session. Bummer. Booting again and selecting install ended up the same way.

I tried every suggestion I could find. No joy.

But then, funny how memory works (human memory), something made me remember I had experienced something similar way back when... Rufus offers to options to create your bootable USB. The default one finishes with no issues... but something is not quite right...

I repeated the USB drive process, but I selected the DD option. I'm now happily running a fully functional Kali 2020.1 installation

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by steev View Post
    An upgrade does not create a new account, you would need to do that manually via adduser (make sure to add the user to the kali group as well as others) - or do a fresh installation to have it created by the installer.
    For me, my upgrade from 2019.3 to 2019.4 ask me to make a new user. That was before 2020.1 upgrade. But i also do the apt-get dist-upgrade. This was 2019 November or maybe December, im not sure.
    curvenger

I installed 2020.1 but do not have root access ... how can I?

Quote Originally Posted by arunhk3 View Post
    Hi Bro,

I had a similar problem.

What is did was to install gdm3 to solve the issue.

1) Go to /etc/apt
    2) Edit Sources.List

Thanks,
    Arun
    Login Loop Error

Hi,
    I did whatever you told(my version: kali 2020.2). This resolves my problem. After installation my Gnome version is 3.34(latest) and gnome-shell version is 3.36.1(latest).

After i enter user name and password it come back again to login screen. Looping the login window.

Please Help