Thread: missing ferm ware

Unhappy missing ferm ware

Hi, I have tried 4 times to install the new Kali 2020.1 with zero luck. I get an error saying "unable to load firmware rtl_nic/rt18168g-2.fw"
    I have install 3 or 4 early versions of Kali in the past with no problem. I tried downloading the ISO again and trying it with the same outcome.
    I ran the "repair" also no lock. When installing I get zero errors until it boots or tries to boot. Has anyone installed it yet?

The live image has the firmware installed, unfortunately, it wasn't added to the metapackages until after release. If 2019.4 works for you, you can always install and then do an apt update && apt dist-upgrade and that will put you at the latest, you don't need to install fresh; which will also pull in the firmware packages if they're not already installed.

Quote Originally Posted by steev View Post
    The live image has the firmware installed, unfortunately, it wasn't added to the metapackages until after release. If 2019.4 works for you, you can always install and then do an apt update && apt dist-upgrade and that will put you at the latest, you don't need to install fresh; which will also pull in the firmware packages if they're not already installed.
    Thanks for the info! After it boots I have a screen of code of sorts, I try running some commands but there is no response.
    I guess I have to wait for the next ISO.